• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1956 Franklin Double Die Obverse???

14 posts in this topic

I had this coin for sale on eBay, and someone was kind enuf to email me and indicate in his opinion that it was a double die obverse. I ended the auction, since I had no bids. Can I get an opinion please on whether this is correct? I do see something odd about the "E" in LIBERTY.

Thankyou

1956f%207-16-2009%201-26-09%20PM.jpg

Yup, this is the DDO-002. It is fairly common on high grade 1956 Franklins, as it was on many of the coins issued in the mint sets. If you have a high grade FBL 1956 Franklin, chances are good you also have a DDO-002. I have owned three of them, but currently only own one. From my Registry Set:

"It is listed in the CONECA master files as 2-O-VI, and is somewhat common on the high grade mint set Franklins; I have a raw one which I would grade at 65 FBL. The doubling is evident as extra thickness on Liberty, IGWT, and the date, but the clear distinguishing mark is a set of die chips in the E of Liberty. Unfortunately, despite their coolness, varieties rarely garner a premium on Franklin’s unless they are spectacular and well known, like the aforementioned 1961 proof DDR (which garners a premium of thousands)."

The easiest place to spot it, in my opinion, is on "TRUST"

In my experience, Franklin varieties are met with extreme apathy except for a few significant examples, such as the aforementioned 1961 DDR, and the Bugs Bunny clash. There are few collectors who will pay a premium for them. I won't necessarily pay a premium for them myself, but I do find them interesting and will add them to my collection if possible. I currently have 5 Franklin doubled dies (one of which I discovered), and an unlisted RPM.

Out of curiosity, is this an original roll or something someone put together? How do they grade? How many FBL's are there? Could you post pictures of the best coins in the roll? High grade 1956 (by which I mean, 66FBL) are supposed to be very common and price about $150, but the latest couple of issues of Coin Values suddenly has them at $800, and I'm trying to figure out why. (As you might have noticed, I am a Franklin enthusiast)

I purchased, some time back, several original rolls of Franklins of various dates at reasonable prices. So yes, this coin was from an original roll, which I guess explains why all coins in the roll are all the same. None of the coins have been graded, and I doubt any would grade as high as 66. I'll throw several on the scanner later and do a group scan of a dozen or so.

Actually, Woody, that is a trick of the lighting. The DDO on this one is actually in the opposite direction, and cannot be seen in these photographs.

1956-2-1.jpg

Good eye Jason.

The hub doubling can be readily seen on the serif of the "T" in TRUST

Very cool. Its really cool that the whole roll has this DDO. You also look to have a few that will go 65, but no 66's. How do they look as far as FBL?

BTW, you appear to have an intruder - there is a 1958 mixed in there. So this probably isn't an original roll.

Actually, Woody, that is a trick of the lighting. The DDO on this one is actually in the opposite direction, and cannot be seen in these photographs.

Good eye Jason.

Foiled again!

1956-2-1.jpg

Good eye Jason.

Yes the doubling shows along the bottom edge of the cross of the T. Not to make a shameless plug, but here is one of mine for comparison:

http://www.dmrarecoins.com/servlet/the-880/1956-PCGS-MS64FBL-50C/Detail