• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof vs. MS 1876 II/II trade dollars

12 posts in this topic

The 1875 I/I T$ and 1876 II/II T$ are two of the coins in the series worth far less in proof than in MS. So how does one keep from getting burned when buying a circulated example that may turn out to be an impaired proof? If some of the details are worn off, how can we be sure which is which?

The 1876 II/II almost always comes prooflike. What should I look for on a circulated '76 II/II so I can be sure it was a business strike and not a circulated proof? A certain die scratch? Different serifs? confused.gif

Tough question, Shiroh.

Since you're asking about circulated specimens, I'd have to recommend that you simply look in the protected areas. On the obv, look at the small field areas between the numerals of the date. On the rev, look in the areas between the wings and the branches and arrows.

Those areas would retain their proof surfacing the longest, and would be difficult to fully polish if the dies were for regular strikes.

Also, look at the rim. If the rim is still generally square, that's another telltale sign. Circulated proofs don't get rounded rims; they just get them banged up.

EVP

BTW, I was almost positive I was going to be high bidder on the coin. I didn't know I'd be up against serious trade dollar collectors after this particular variety, so I figured nearly 5 times bid for the common variety '76-P would bring it home. I was underbidder at $1,650. frown.gif