• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Nice Blazing Red Conder Token

11 posts in this topic

I was reading the thread about the best picture one has taken and thought about this token of mine. The pics could be a bit sharper, but they capture the coin fairly accurately. Beyond the picture, however, is an interesting story about a man who made his mark on history.

The pictures are of a a beautifully preserved 1794 Half Penny Hampshire British token (D&H 55) honoring a John Howard who was a common man who single handedly reformed prison conditions not only in England, but throughout Europe. I'll post the obverse of the token first, quote some information about who John Howard is, and then talk about what I think is a cool reverse.

Hampsh55Obv1.jpg

A Bit of History:

Howard wrote The State of Prisons that...

"...was not only groundbreaking in terms of prison reform, but was a monument to John Howard's ability to be thorough, detailed and constructive. It includes a general study of the distress in prisons, proposed improvements, a detailed analysis of prison conditions and statistical tables. Parliament passed two more prison Acts, in 1778 and 1781. Aware that making it law doesn't automatically ensure the changes will be made quickly, Howard continued touring the prisons of England and Europe. He not only collected information about conditions, but revisited many to monitor the progress of reforms (Godber, 1977, pp.10-11). For the next several years, John Howard worked ceaselessly, making five more tours of European prisons, as well as visiting those in England. He kept up with his responsibilities at his Cardington estate as well. Health matters concerned him increasingly, inspiring him to publish a second book in 1789 on Lazarettos - the plague ships."

"His stamina became legendary. It was hard to imagine that he was once a sickly, delicate youth. He could ride 40 miles a day, needed little sleep and could withstand considerable heat and cold. On one of his trips to Ireland he gave up his berth to a maid servant and slept on deck. He maintained his simple vegetarian diet of fruit, vegetables, bread and milk or tea. One of the reasons he chose traveling by horseback was to disperse the bad odours from the jail he had been visiting, although he took pains to change his clothes as soon afterwards as possible. In 1786 he even traveled to Venice on a plague-infested ship in order to observe firsthand the conditions on a Lazaretto (Godber, 1977, pp.11-12). However, his spartan regimen cannot account for all of his extraordinary ability to withstand the physical demands, pestilence and filth of his prison tours. His friends observed that by this time John Howard possessed an air of purpose, serenity and vigor that seemed to surround him like a magic cloak. Howard himself wrote, "Being in the way of my duty, I fear no evil" (Godber, 1977, p.12)."

http://www.johnhoward.ab.ca/PUB/C3.htm

The Token's Reverse

While the whole token is in amazing condition for something this old, the reverse has some stunning very fine die polish lines going every which way.

Hampsh55Rev1.jpg

The reverse show the arms of the town of Portsmouth. The tower has the arms of Chichester which is in Sussex.

I wish I could show this one in person....it is truly a stunner and I am not the best photographer. In any case, I hope you enjoyed seeing this piece from afar!

A little more history.....

Here is a sketch by George Romney titled "John Howard Visiting a Lazaretto" (a plague quarantine ship or house) where Romney often showed a grim figure of a gaoler (prison guard on left), who represents superstition and despotism in contrast to the suffering humanity of the victims. Howard is shown interceding (Source: The Shadow of the Guillotine, David Bindman, image similar to the one on page 170 - I own this book which is a fascinating review of British society during the French revolution).

johnhowardlazaretto_large.jpg

Very cool history and token. This one appears to be PL, is it? If so, then it is one of the many Conder pieces that come PL.

This was a fascinating account of British history that I was only vaguely aware of. Thanks for sharing. John Howard reminds me of William Wilberforce who was also a frail child yet grew to see the abolition of slavery in England.

The wealthy, upper class grew extremely indifferent to society apart from their social circles, closing their eyes to horrid atrocities of the day.

William Hogarth's etching, Gin Lane, was an extremely accurate portrayal of the actual conditions in late 18th and early 19th century England.

82361.jpg.f3e093e2d3a44be38e11b795a30ed548.jpg

82362.jpg.5e196136fd445221d797945a0d0a7a3a.jpg

82363.jpg.1d95392ffe6fa245a33575288f515699.jpg

While I certainly love the appearance of that delightful coin, I really enjoy your discussion of its history and it's relevance to what makes coins so great! I have a number of conder tokens, but few of mine even approach that one in sheer beauty :) .

Great Conder----WOW!!! I believe from now on when I see a coin that well preserved I will think of your token and say GREAT CONDER! Thank you for your story and history of this particular token and thanks to all who participated. Many, as I, have probably never heard of this gentleman.

Jim

the token is way cool, great eye appeal and beautifully red and i assume?? that because of the extensive die polish lines on the reverse it is fully proof-like??

your write up and history is even better (thumbs u

great thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one appears to be PL, is it? If so, then it is one of the many Conder pieces that come PL.

Tom and Michael - I believe it to be proof-like with a mirror like surface (especially on the obverse) but I was unsure, so I asked the seller, Jerry Bobbe (Conder expert & former PCGS grader), for his thoughts. He said:

"The more proof-like a piece is; the less cartwheel lustre. Your piece has both! The first strike die polish can also distract from the P/L impression, however I would certainly call your piece proof-like. I have always liked those “hybrid” surfaces which seem to throw everything at the viewer at once."