• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Military Challenge Coins

12 posts in this topic

History of Challenge Coins

The origins of the challenge coin are a matter of much debate with little supporting evidence, most common with many military traditions.

The story is........

Each member of a particular WWI airborne squadron was given a bronze medallion by their lieutenant.

One of these soldiers was captured by the Germans and later escaped, only to be re-captured by the French. The French, not knowing that the soldier was a friendly American, were set to execute him. But before the time came, one of the Frenchmen recognized the medallion that was worn by the American and his life was spared.

Why Are They Called Challenge Coins?

Following World War I, it became a growing tradition to carry these medallions, or "coins", and it was a fun little game that gave them the name "challenge".

It went something like this...

Squadron members would challenge one another to reveal their coins. If the member being challenged did not have his or her coin on them, they would have to buy a drink for the person who challenged them. If, however, they could produce the coin, then the challenger had to buy them a drink. Thus, the "challenge coin" evolved.

Challenge Coins today

Today challenge coins are everywhere in the military. Besides using coins for challenging, they are also used as rewards or awards. Most higher ranking officers have challenge coins made so that they may give them out as rewards. Bill Clinton had coins made so that he could give them out to military people. Getting a challenge coin from high ranking official was like be one of the proud and the few. Most of them would get 1000 coins made and they were usually numbered so you were only 1 of 1000 to have the coin. Almost all career military people I now have a challenge coin rack with all of the different units that they have been in.

Many other organizations have also adopted the challenge coins like police departments, fire departments, nascar, NFL, colleges, fraternities, special clubs, etc.

Are Challenge Coins Worth Collecting?

Most coins are really not worth much and really only carry sentimental value. Many collectors just collect them for the fun of it. I collected them while I was in the Navy and have about 10 of them but I only bought a couple of them and the rest were given to me.

Getting your own challenge coins made!!

There are lots of companies out there that will make the coins for you. It usually cost a few hundred dollars to get the die made and then only a few dollars for each coin to be produced. Below is some websites of companies that make challenge coins.

http://www.militaryservicecompany.com/catalog.aspx?catid=CustomCoins

http://www.challengecoinusa.com/faqs.html

http://www.allaboutchallengecoins.com/

Pictures

This coin was bought at the gift shop in Pearl Harbor.

008copy.jpg

009copy.jpg

010copy.jpg

011copy.jpg

ChallengeCoins.jpg

LargeMilitaryChallengeCoinCherry.jpg

Very cool. I only have one of these, from the weather squadron at Offut Air Force Base. I did a weeklong summer program there with Civil Air Patrol in high school.

Great topic, Jaime. I served from 1984-1990 and never once saw a challenge coin. I would have definitely spotted them if they sold them in the ship's store onboard ship. I was on a carrier and they had a few different stores so if they were sold in the '80's then they would have had them. However, I did pick up a couple last year while browsing on e-bay.

82320.jpg.f09097f48e2618731b34e5917a506ec1.jpg

82321.jpg.92d67db3dbb74e3b55884a700de53087.jpg

Vic,

I am not sure when they started selling them on ships but I know that every ship I visited had them. I always bought a challenge coin and a zippo.

I remember when MCPON Terry Scott visited are ship and he gave a few sailors

his coin. The one I seen was numbered 625 of 1000. Getting a coin from one of the

guys was like winning the lottery.

I had about a dozen of them that I was awared while serving in the army. I had a collector of them approach me on the PCGS forum and I sold mine to him as they seemed to mean more to him then me. I actully received two of them from Generals....including a 4 star general and at the time it was cool but......after 15 years away from the military at the time.....they just sat in a plastic affes bag from Germany :blush:

Got this one yesterday during my change of command.

DragonObverse.jpg

dragonreverse.jpg

I have a box full somewhere that I can't seem to locate...