• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luster Question

6 posts in this topic

I just finished reading Q. David Bowers excellent book on Morgans. In it, he basically states that luster is best with new dies. In other places, however, I've read that luster is best from worn dies where the flow lines have a chance to etch themselves in. Who's right?

There are many differen types of luster. If you consider best to mean reflective, then new dies might win. If you think frosty surfaces make for a better affect, then worn dies might win. There's nothing scientific about arguing which is the "best" luster; it's strictly an opinion on the part of the observer.

And, luster quality really has more to do with what finish the die has than the age of the die. Old dies might be polished to prooflike or erroded to a thick, gorgeous satin. Some new dies might have started with heavy satin frost as well.

Brand new dies typically do not have good luster. If what you are looking for is flashy cartwheel luster, this comes from SLIGHTLY worn dies. As the dies start to wear the flowlines that create the cartwheel spokes begin to develop. As the die continues to waer the flowlines become more numerous and heavier. As this happens the cartwheel spokes become broader and broader and the luster becomes more satiny than flashy.

I just finished reading Q. David Bowers excellent book on Morgans. In it, he basically states that luster is best with new dies. In other places, however, I've read that luster is best from worn dies where the flow lines have a chance to etch themselves in. Who's right?

Both are correct, because it depends on personal preference. I find that dies that are "broken in" and develop flowline luster capability are my personal favorites, but earlier dies that produce prooflike characteristics are preferred by some folks.