• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake 1833 Half Cent?

18 posts in this topic

Why bid when you can only see half of the coin? Also this picture might be covering up an old cleaning.

This reverse was used for all of the 1833, all of the 1834 and the more common variety of 1835 half cents.

Why bid when you can only see half of the coin? Also this picture might be covering up an old cleaning.

This reverse was used for all of the 1833, all of the 1834 and the more common variety of 1835 half cents.

(thumbs u

The color is highly questionable. I would say its been cleaned and retoned - poorly. Unless it is a rare date, very scarce variety, or you REALLY need it, I would pass on this coin 100%

I have to agree, this is a coin that you should pass on unless you absolutely need it. The coin is genuine, but suffering from a bad cleaning. Unfortunate too as the coin would have been a very nice addition prior to the cleaning.

I passed on this coin. Somebody bought it for $85. I'm not sure if it's worth that money. But I'm sad it was improperly cleaned. It's such a nice coin.

Don't worry there will be another one!!

Don't worry there will be another one!!

The made for circulation half cent dates from the 1830s are fairly common, and the usual minimum grade is EF or better. The coin you did not get is WAY below average. These coins did not circulate well and high grade examples (better than EF) are not unusual.