• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I found my old coin collection!

4 posts in this topic

Thirty years ago when I was a missionary kid, I collected coins and monetary bills. I have mostly coins from Africa, but I also have lots from Europe and the US. I put them(your going to cringe) in a zip-lock bag and just pulled them into the light of day last week. They brought back good memories. Few are in mint shape, but I would like to display them in some kind of book. I am not interested in actively expanding my collection, but I do want to preserve it. I probably have thirty or so bills and 300 or so coins. I know so little, I don't even know what questions to ask but here are a few that come to mind. What web-site or company sells coin-displaying products? Do I need to treat them with some special solution? Any other advice is very welcome. Thanks! smile.gif

Did the baggie appear deteriorated? If not, they're probably alright. I don't believe that any plastics that are meant to contain food have any PVC in them.

As far as storing/displaying them... Since the coins are probably different sizes, it would be hard to find an album that would work. I'd go with 2x2s or mylar flips and put them in pocket pages in a three ring binder. They make mylar sleeves and pocket pages for the notes, also. That way could keep them all in the same binder. You can get these at most any coin store/supply website.

Here's a link to one (of many) excellent coin supply houses on the internet. I agree with Spiny that the best way to accomplish your desire is the use of either "2x2s" or "flips". 2x2s are 2-inch square double-sided cardboard holders with a mylar window (mylar does not harm coin metal as PVC based plastices do) that come in a variety of window sizes. They are either stapled closed, or for a little more you can get self sealers. Many of us fear the potential damage to the coins after years of close contact with the adhesives, and stick with the staple type. "Flips" are clear plastic double envelopes, also 2-inch square, You can put the coin in one pocket, and a piece of note paper with pertinent information in the other. They come in mylar, which is hard and stiff, and PVC which is soft and flexible. I repeat, mylar is safe, PVC is baaaaaad!

Three-hole punched clear plastic binder pages hold five rows of four 2x2 coin holders, and make a nice display. I use backer sheets with the information about each coin to dress up my binders. If you have any trouble remembering what some of the coins are, check your local library for the Standard Catalog of World Coins by Krause & Mishler, which is the best readily available general reference work. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!