• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very interesting thread ATS

16 posts in this topic

The hologram is wrong. That would be my first sign!! That CC doesn't even look close.

I agree. The mintmarks, dates and stars jumped at me, especially the 95. But, admittedly, I have a tendency to feel a bit of reassurance when I see a NGC, PCGS, ICG, or ANACS slab. Yes, buy the coin is the mantra.

That reassurance just went bye-bye (at least for PCGS slabs)

I didn't stand on my head or turn my computer upside down in order to view the reverse of the first 1889-CC right side up. But, the obverse would not have made me suspect a counterfeit. And I firmly believe that each of those coins would fool many, many collectors and dealers.

I didn't stand on my head or turn my computer upside down in order to view the reverse of the first 1889-CC right side up. But, the obverse would not have made me suspect a counterfeit. And I firmly believe that each of those coins would fool many, many collectors and dealers.

I do not study the top tpg slabs enough to notice these things. I would have to agree with Mark that these would fool many. Not afraid to admit myself included.

I know some here do not care much for the boards ATS, but this thread is interesting and probably has value for all collectors.

There's much good information provided ATS, and your link provides one excellent example.

These counterfeiters make me sick to my stomach! I could tell each coin was fake, but the slabs themselves would fool me. And, as Mark mentinoned, MANY inexperienced collectors would easily get swindled by these products.

It is really getting very sad indeed :( ...

I could tell each coin was fake, but the slabs themselves would fool me.
What if they start putting real coins in fake slabs? For example, raw ASEs and using MS/PR-70 First Strike inserts!

PCGS ? the old player. The holders even look old school.. they should be ahead of this. Only now are they worrying about fakes.. their brand will be very damaged by the time they have adequate protection in place.

NGC is ahead of the curve on this. Photo certification already has well over a million images. Get your valuable stuff reholdered and you are set.

There have already been posts with regards to putting MS64 coins in an MS66 holders--especially coins that really jump in price for the upgrade. This could be more profitable in the short run than fake coins in fake holders.This may have already been done.

Jim

What's funny is that my best friend (numisma) discussed this very idea about nine years ago when the fake rattlers were messing with the market.

My how time flies when you're having fun. The fake rattlers were twenty years ago.

What always surprise me was that it took so long before the fake slabs began showing up. The rattler fakes apears in the first three years a after that I figured it woud be jus a short time before fakes started showing up again, and from the other services as well. But it took another eighteen years before they started showing up. I epected them in less than four. (Actually the first fake sheels for a major service, ICG, showed up over six years ago but they were not used for making fake ICG slabs. A firm had copies of the ICG shells made in China for thier own product. We got them shut down immediately, but that may have ben one of the things that gave the Chinese the idea to counterfeit the slabs.)

The 1794 was an obvious fake , it the coin was real the grade would have been a lot better then XF 45. Plus as Physics said it just looks fake, look at the eagles breast feathers !!

The hologram on the 1895-O was an obvious fake.