• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brain Teaser *answer*

17 posts in this topic

What is the fewest combination and denominations of US Coins you can carry to make the correct change for any amount between .01¢ and .99¢?

What is the fewest combination and denominations of US Coins you can carry to make the correct change for any amount between .01¢ and .99¢?

I make it seven!

1 0.50

1 0.25

2 0.10

4 0.01

Two of these denominations and amounts are correct, but I'm not going to say which 2.

usually a few cents and a couple of quarters maybe a dime and nickel

i spend the change in my pocket as i get it to keep it low and sometimes i have none

The fewest number of coins you can carry to do that is ten, consisting of

3 three quarters,

2 two dimes,

1 one nickel,

4 and four pennies....thanks for playing.

If someone can come up with another valid amount...shoot!

Your question is confusing because in your initial post you ask for the fewest combination of denominations while in your subsequent answer you list the fewest number of individual coins. These are two different questions.

If one were to assume that you actually want the fewest number of individual coins, then I believe jesbroken has a valid answer using nine coins, which is fewer than the ten coins posted. However, the number can be made even smaller if one were to use the following eight coins-

(1) cent

(1) two-cent piece

(1) three-cent piece

(1) five-cent nickel or half-dime

(1) dime

(1) twenty-cent piece

(1) quarter

(1) half dollar

Doing it this way also allows someone to carry no more than a single coin from any denomination.

I believe jesbroken has a valid answer using nine coins, which is fewer than the ten coins posted.

I checked the math (1-99) and jesbroken is correct, I missed this one.