• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Different grading companies?

7 posts in this topic

It seems like different grading companies draw different prices for their coins, i.e...I have tracked several ms70 2009, silver eagles on eBay that have been graded by ANACS and they are getting about 20-30% less than the same grade by NGC and PCGS. What is the story with this? If you purchase one of the ANACS coins will it grade the same with the other two?

There is a perception that it is "harder" to get higher grades out of certain companies, and that therefore the value of coins from those companies must be higher since the higher graded coins are going to be scarcer. This perception may or may not be correct for some companies, and is clearly correct for others. For example, it is easy to get a "69" or "70" grade from lesser companies, such as NNC and NTC, or even ICG, and therefore their coins are (rightly) perceived as being worth less than "69" or "70" coins from NGC or PCGS.

There are a couple of factors in this.

First as James said, some grading companies are perceived to have stricter grading standards than others. This perception is quite true for some low level grading companies whose goal quite honestly is to market coins to the less than discerning public at inflated grades and prices. NGC and PCGS have reputations, which are deserved, of maintaining higher grading standards.

Second, NGC and PCGS have on-line registries. If you participate in the registry for silver eagles, you must acquire an NGC or PCGS coin for the NGC registry or a PCGS graded coin for the PCGS registry. PCGS accepts only their coins for their registry. The “off brands” can’t be used on the registries.

Finally it is my view that PCGS controls the number of MS and PR-70 grade modern coin they issue to maintain higher prices for their product.

As a general statement, unless you want Mint State silver eagles for a registry set, it’s a waste of money to get them certified. Most silver eagles are high grade (at least MS-68) any way, and their numismatic value does not justify the cost of getting them certified.

There is also a perception that ANACS is not the same company that it was a before the James Taylor bought it, fired everyone, and brought everyone over to ANACS from ICG. The turmoil created by this and the subsequent deal they made with a TV shopping channel where it was perceived they were hawking over graded ANACS slabs has damaged their reputation. I have ANACS graded state quarters that were graded PF69DCAM, which are probably accurate. I cannot get what should be "fair market value" for these coins. People do not want to pay that price for the ANACS slab.

Scott :hi:

People do not want to pay that price for the ANACS slab.

Maybe ANACS coins would get better prices if ANACS had a registry. hm

But perhaps their serial number system is so messed up that that is not possible. (shrug)