• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do all NGC no line fatty's allow for holder toning or is there one in particular

22 posts in this topic

I read the line was put in to stop the label from toning the holdered coin, so I am assuming that all no line fatty's are capable of such holder caused toning. But maybe one shouldn't assume maybe there is no variety of fatty only 1 or 2 no line holder(s) that is known for this due to a difference in the label.

Speaking of Morgans only....I have never seen a Morgan Silver Dollar in a no line fatty without at least a touch of golden rim toning but usually it has progressed to the point of being gold and blue around the periphery. (thumbs u

As you mentioned before....having a paper label that contains sulfer incased inside a sonically sealed holder wasn't the best idea NGC ever had but....since I like toned coins...I would like to personally thank them :foryou:

I read the line was put in to stop the label from toning the holdered coin, so I am assuming that all no line fatty's are capable of such holder caused toning. But maybe one shouldn't assume maybe there is no variety of fatty only 1 or 2 no line holder(s) that is known for this due to a difference in the label.

All the no-line fatties are suseptable to toning from sulfur in the slab label. The divided slab greatly improved this problem, but that next generation still had great problems because the seal was still letting outside gasses in too easily. It was not until the 2001 slab redesigning, which featuring the NGC name on the front, that they started touting the slab for long-term storage. This was the point at which they decided to guarantee copper for 10 years, as long as it was in this version of holder or newer.

All the no-line fatties are suseptable to toning from sulfur in the slab label. The divided slab greatly improved this problem, but that next generation still had great problems because the seal was still letting outside gasses in too easily. It was not until the 2001 slab redesigning, which featuring the NGC name on the front, that they started touting the slab for long-term storage. This was the point at which they decided to guarantee copper for 10 years, as long as it was in this version of holder or newer.

The NGC copper guarantee took effect on April 1, 2000 - no fooling. ;)

From NGC's website:

"The NGC Guarantee does not apply to copper, bronze or copper nickel coins graded by NGC prior to April 1, 2000"

does CAC sticker coins that have toned via NGC holder toning?

Yes.....CAC decides if it agrees with the grade on the holder....it does not decide whether it likes the toning (thumbs u

Yes.....CAC decides if it agrees with the grade on the holder....it does not decide whether it likes the toning (thumbs u

That is only partly correct. CAC rejected one of my coins due to the opinion that the distinctly toned surfaces were the result of toning in an older NGC holder. So, in answer to the original question posed - yes and no. It depends on the look of the toning.

And the CAC stickered my recent acquisition that was encapsulated in the subject of this thread. So once again the great Mark Feld is correct. But the question remains that there are a few no line fatty's that have no line but are different, are all of them capable of being able to tone a coin or is there one that due to the type of label is more active than the other no line holders?

And the CAC stickered my recent acquisition that was encapsulated in the subject of this thread. So once again the great Mark Feld is correct. But the question remains that there are a few no line fatty's that have no line but are different, are all of them capable of being able to tone a coin or is there one that due to the type of label is more active than the other no line holders?
Alan, what difference does it make? By now, the coins in any type of fatty holder have had more than enough time to tone, if they were going to do so due to the holder. Why not focus on reality and what has actually happened instead of speculating on the meaningless? :devil:

That is only partly correct. CAC rejected one of my coins due to the opinion that the distinctly toned surfaces were the result of toning in an older NGC holder. So, in answer to the original question posed - yes and no. It depends on the look of the toning.

Outside of the coin looking AT...which I can't speculate since I haven't seen it...it would seem on the surface to be completly Ridiculous for CAC not to sticker a coin that they feel is accurately graded for this reason. :censored:

Outside of the coin looking AT...which I can't speculate since I haven't seen it...it would seem on the surface to be completly Ridiculous for CAC not to sticker a coin that they feel is accurately graded for this reason. :censored:

It didn't look look AT to me. The color was very similar to what I have seen on other coins of the same type and date in PCGS and NGC holders. I disagreed with the decision, but at least I understood it.

It didn't look look AT to me. The color was very similar to what I have seen on other coins of the same type and date in PCGS and NGC holders. I disagreed with the decision, but at least I understood it.

You are a better man than me Mr.Fields :slapfight: <---- for CAC

You are a better man than me Mr.Fields .

Does that mean my wife makes Mrs. Field's cookies?

You are a better man than me Mr.Fields .

Does that mean my wife makes Mrs. Field's cookies?

ahhh good type o ^^

Mark,

I am trying to figure out what no line toning looks like. Maybe my toned one didn't have the typical no line toning, and maybe it is becasue only certain lables in the no line holders cause the particular toning that the CAC is opposed to. Just trying to understand all this stuff.

The toning from slabs isnt anything unusual, it should be the same chemical reaction a coin would have if exposed to any other type of sulfurous product. The fact that a coin toned inside a slab is not (or at least should not be) why CAC would reject it, rather they might find the appearance of a particular coin to be questionable/ look like AT.

Mark,

I am trying to figure out what no line toning looks like. Maybe my toned one didn't have the typical no line toning, and maybe it is becasue only certain lables in the no line holders cause the particular toning that the CAC is opposed to. Just trying to understand all this stuff.

Alan, if you're trying to learn/understand what such toning looks like, I'd suggest looking for on line images. But the colors, degree and intensity vary, so there is no uniform appearance to look for.

Mark,

Alan, if you're trying to learn/understand what such toning looks like, I'd suggest looking for on line images. But the colors, degree and intensity vary, so there is no uniform appearance to look for.

I agree and to make matters even more complicated ....many coins already had some toning on them when slabbed so figuring out what toning can be attributed to the holder vs a bag, album, or roll is pretty much impossible. doh!

Mark,

I agree and to make matters even more complicated ....many coins already had some toning on them when slabbed so figuring out what toning can be attributed to the holder vs a bag, album, or roll is pretty much impossible. doh!

I agree and that makes it an ideal challenge for Alan. I expect that he will devote a great deal of time to it. :devil:

Mark,

I agree and that makes it an ideal challenge for Alan. I expect that he will devote a great deal of time to it. :devil:

^^