• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Purchase: Rainbow-Toned Peace Dollar

16 posts in this topic

My first rainbow-toned coin that I purchased specifically for the toning. I think it's rare that the Peace dollars have (a) toning that's not ugly, and (b) nice rainbow toning, so I'm relatively happy with this ... despite paying quite a bit for it. The toning was very difficult to photograph well, with the biggest difference between the picture and in-hand is that the obverse toning extends further around the edge of the field, from about 10:00-4:00. But, these are the best shots out of around a dozen with slightly different lighting on each.

1922_MS64_toned_large.jpg

I have a lot of peace dollars, and if they tone at all, they usually look like this. Not even close to your nice one.

81890.jpg.5701b69f64b1427b10ef125967f7a307.jpg

I am also working on a toned Peace Dollar set which has completely stalled in the last 6 months. Finding attractively toned Peace Dollars is very challenging. Finding rainbow toned Peace Dollars is almost impossible. Great addition Astro!

Here are photos of my current collection in progress.

PeaceDollarCollectionCoinTalkPart1.jpg

PeaceDollarCollectionCoinTalkPart2.jpg

Thanks all for the compliments. I do like the coin. :)

Would you mind sharing, what you used to photograph the coin. It is a masterpiece.

I used an old Canon Digital Rebel body with a 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 70mm where it's a near-macro lens. I used two lights that I hand-held and moved around, sometimes only using 1, in order to try to get the best (a) overall illumination, (b) proper shadows to show the hair detail, and © also show the toning. The final pics I used were pretty much a compromise between those three things out of a dozen or so pictures.

Nicely toned Peace dollars are difficult to find. Part of this is due to a different type of canvas for the bags. However, the greatest difference is that Peace dollars did not get 60-75 years of unmolested aging in dank vaults. Most spent only a couple of decades in mellowing, and when distributed, dipping away tarnish was very popular.