• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your best speculative coin pick

19 posts in this topic

What coin(s) do you think are good speculation plays regarding going up in value over the next 3 years?

I will start the thread and say generic Barber Half Dollars in MS-65.

What's your speculative guess?

Generic $20 gold pieces because of their gold content.

The way the economy is after "real coins" have been run up to high levels, I don't have much faith most numismatic items going up very much any time soon.

Nice call. I loaded up on MS-62 $20 golds a decade ago when gold was around $300/oz.and the premium was minimal. I unloaded them last summer.

I've recently been buying MS-62 $5 coronets, these seem cheap relative to the MS-63's.

I like 1928 Peace dollars in MS65. They seem tougher to find than the value suggests.

Not a single coin, but as dumb as this may sound, I think complete BU sets of Lincoln Memorial cents are going to suddenly become "big". The series is now "closed", so to speak. Expect to see them being pushed in print ads by national hypesters soon (if not already).

ms 64 65 66 saints

problem free uncleaned mid range circulated graded small eagle bust dollars

choice unc. 1835 1837 1838 classic head quarter eagles

very choice au and ms 64 65 three dollar gold pieces

1794 flowing hair half dimes nice vf and up

gem flying eagle cents; especially so the small letters 1858

choice and gem proof ten liberties

better date civil war era seated dollars au and up

superb gem proof original set toned morgan dollars

nice prooflike type three pre 1880 gold dollars ms64 and up

any wreath cents ANY

any nicely centered vf and above small or large planchet pine tree shillings

as per the above cac stickering is just an added bonus

I don't typically speculate in coins, but if you want something with a very low entrance cost then you may want to keep any Ch AU or better eagle reverse Washington quarter you get in change. The investment will be trivial since you won't find many, but they may see a rise in demand if this series is completely closed some time after the State Quarter series.

What coin(s) do you think are good speculation plays regarding going up in value over the next 3 years?

I will start the thread and say generic Barber Half Dollars in MS-65.

What's your speculative guess?

I should also mention that in my experience most generic Barber half dollars graded MS65 are ugly, overgraded dogs. You will have to pay a premium for the accurately graded pieces with any eye appeal.

I don't typically speculate in coins, but if you want something with a very low entrance cost then you may want to keep any Ch AU or better eagle reverse Washington quarter you get in change. The investment will be trivial since you won't find many, but they may see a rise in demand if this series is completely closed some time after the State Quarter series.

I agree except I'd set aside primarily those which are nice for the date. For a 1969 that would mean any coin in nice attractive F or better but a 1972-D would have to be XF+ and a 1995 an attractive AU. It wouldn't take a lot of demand to make these disappear.

Let me throw this one out for debate.

Will the 2009 Proof set be a modern day rarity, or will the mint produce a lot of them and sell them into future years???

Between the silver & clad proof sets and the 50,000 collector's sets to be release, that will mean that there will be at least two million of the copper Lincoln cents. Collector demand can never absorb that many coins. Hype and speculation will quickly drive their prices up but, eventually, once demand dies down, they will be relatively common.

I think that as the economy worsens and disposable becomes scarcer, most coin prices will drop. I think the exception is early Federal coinage in choice, eye-appealing condition, regardless of the grades.

Not a single coin, but as dumb as this may sound, I think complete BU sets of Lincoln Memorial cents are going to suddenly become "big". The series is now "closed", so to speak. Expect to see them being pushed in print ads by national hypesters soon (if not already).

I think I would agree w/ you. I even heard some where they might even stop making the penny all together, because of the cost it takes to make them, Copper prices have went up, heard it cost the gov. 1.5 cent to make a 1 cent. We all know if the gov doesn't start making cuts some where we will all fold. Maybe I'm being un-realistic.

I think I would agree w/ you. I even heard some where they might even stop making the penny all together, because of the cost it takes to make them, Copper prices have went up, heard it cost the gov. 1.5 cent to make a 1 cent. We all know if the gov doesn't start making cuts some where we will all fold. Maybe I'm being un-realistic.

It's made up 100 fold because it cost the Government the same amount of money to print a $1 bill and a $100 dollar bill. (thumbs u

On individual coins: Riding in on the coat tails of the Cheerios variety Sacagawea Golden dollar, there will be a renewed interest in the 2001-P Sacagawea experimental rinse/finish discovery pieces.

You heard it here first.

Edit: I went back to edit my post, the Cheerios was in 2000, the rinse was in 2001. I was thinking 2001 but my mind wrote 2000

Fractional Buffalos will soon be off the chart, supply and demand dictate (thumbs u

And then in three or four years minimum they will be "out of sight, out of mind."

As a dealer with a table at places like the FUN show, the game with modern gold is other dealers are only willing pay some discount under the Gray Sheet price. For "dead" modern gold like the First Spouse series, they are trying to buy it for melt or less. Unless there is a general push in demand, modern gold is in many ways a "one way" market if you pay very much over melt for it. You can pay what looks like a "bargain price," but when you get ready to sell the offers are often quite stingy relative to melt.

My advice is, if you like to collet it, which I do like the commemorative gold series, enjoy it. But if you are "investing" treat it like bullion gold. That's what the dealers do.

Let me add my 2 cents (no pun intended).

It seems to me that the 1652 Mass Coins seem relatively inexpensive.

The shillings are not tough to find, but the silver 3 pence are almost impossible.