• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Magazines

18 posts in this topic

I used to purchase:

Coins

COINage

Coin Prices

and Numismatic News

In that order, I think the magazine was Coins. It's been a long time though.

I no longer buy any of them!! It seems like there is only 10 readable pages in a magazine and I was sick of looking at the same ad's. I usually look through them when I am at B&N.

I look on Coinflation.Com and NumismaticNews.Net for the news articles.

Reason why I'm asking is that I want to write a series of articles and have no idea which would be the best place to submit them.

Reason why I'm asking is that I want to write a series of articles and have no idea which would be the best place to submit them.

Good luck when it comes to getting paid. I know a couple of regular columnists who appear in Coin World, and they don’t get paid anything. It’s good publicity if you are David Bowers (I think he can write in his sleep any way) but for the rest of us who have work at it, it’s an effort mainly for your own satisfaction.

Coin hobby publishers are among the lowest paying of any periodicals.

As for the best magazines - they are all long gone.

Coin hobby publishers are among the lowest paying of any periodicals.

As for the best magazines - they are all long gone.

I guess you must be mssing the Numismatic Scrapbook. (shrug)

Seriously I don't think the modern ones are so bad. There is some good stuff in Coin World now and then, and some of Julian's artcles in COINage have been first rate.

For retail price reference, I take Coin World (their price guide is superior) and Bank Note Reporter. In most instances, I will take 10% below market value (Coin World Trends) in a retail transaction. I always try to give my retail customers a discount or break if possible as inventory / replacement cost permits. ^^

For wholesale reference I take CDN (Greysheet), CCDN (Bluesheet), and Greensheet. Generally, my offers for certified coins offered to me at may table at shows is full certified bid - Bluesheet (This is all I will get for them if I have to all of a sudden liquidate this material). Dealer to dealer transactions for coins, I don't mind selling at CDN Ask if cost permits. I have seen these dealers usually price this stuff they purchased from me at their table or shop with a modest tack on for their retail buyers of say 10 - 20%.

I no longer buy any of them!! It seems like there is only 10 readable pages in a magazine and I was sick of looking at the same ad's. I usually look through them when I am at B&N.
I agree. There are too many ads and the price lists aren't useful to me. Going to B&N works fine for me.

I have maintained my subscription to CoinWorld, but it is quite unexciting to me these days. There seems to be a lot of "fodder" that holds no interest for me, and my favorite page (letters to the editor) is only given one page of coverage!

From past experience, I would recommend starting with Numismatic News first, and CoinWorld second.

i agree with james as coin world used tobetop first by a long margain a few years ago but now even with numismatic news andnumismatic news might have a slight edge because of their monthly coin prices rag

My problem with NN is their price guide is so lame. They give good USM stats and their subscription is less expensive than CW. However, I made the decision to go wtih CW. CW had some intereting articles on the Chinese Counterfits awhile back. I use many of the dealer ads as a reference point to see what some of these other guy are selling their stuff at....

Of the four that are listed the most in this thread, the Numismatist I would rate as a decent publication. It just has little or nothing of real interest to me. The newstand magazines are boring to me.