• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why it pays to ask questions on eBay

3 posts in this topic

Saw an interesting auction on eBay tonight, from a seller I used to buy coins from on eBay in years past.

The auction listing and text claimed the Conder token in question was a NGC certified Middlesex Halls DH26 penny token, yet the photgraph was of a NGC certified Middesex Halls DH316 halfpenny token. However the NGC label did list the edge as for the #26 penny token. Since the design of these two tokens are the same (except for size and for the most part the edge lettering) I had to ask the seller the obvious question.

His response was that he had put up the wrong picture of the same token! The first time he sent the penny token to NGC it came back with the wrong attribution - as the halfpenny. He had returned the slab to NGC and they had corrected the attribution. He immediately updated the picture in the listing with the correct version of the slab and I immediately hit Buy-It-Now.

Here's the sellers updated picture of the token, unfortunately I did not save the original picture with the wrong attribution:

uk1_2dmiddlesex_halls1795_04_01_09.jpg

The halfpenny is a common sight in auctions, on ebay and on dealer sites. The 1d is listed as common by Dalton & Hamer with this edge, yet usually only shows in the larger/extensive token auctions. There was one listed in the May Baldwins auction for instance.