• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinion, please, on a question regarding coin website design

16 posts in this topic

In your opinion, is it better if all coins imaged on a coin dealer's website be the same size, or should the image size be proportional to the actual size of the coin? In other words, should an image for a three-cent silver be the same size as an image of a Morgan dollar? Or, should the image for the three-cent silver be (approximately) 1/20 the size of the dollar's image?

For the record, I have always tried to size images proportionally, but I've slowly come to the conclusion that it is best to have a universal size for all images.

Thanks in advance.

For me, I don't care about proportionality. I know the size of each type. I want to see close ups of the coin so I can determine whether the surfaces of the coin are acceptable for my collection. Otherwise, I will have to ask for the close up and that can waste time for both collector and dealer if a purchase isn't consummated - or a coin is purchased and then returned based upon the coin not being what the distant pictures appear to reflect.

I'm ok with all images being the same size... say if you were going to make them 500x500. Then it would be ok for all coins to be of the same size. I mean, why would you limit a purchaser from seeing the coin at a size that they can really take a good look at the coin. Even if you were to make some of the smaller coins a bit smaller, say 350x350, I think that would be ok. I say the larger the better, but not so big that you have to pan around to see the coin.

I just want clear, well lit, in focus images. By this time I know the size of the coins I am interested in obtaining for my collection.

I probably should have emphasized one aspect of my question, which was really the impetus for it. Suppose a 500x500 image of a Morgan dollar represents "three times" magnification. But suppose that same 500x500 image of a three-cent silver represents "25 times" magnification. The images would be the same size, but the magnification vastly different. So I am wondering if that magnification difference would bother anyone.

Thanks for the great and useful comments so far!

I probably should have emphasized one aspect of my question, which was really the impetus for it. Suppose a 500x500 image of a Morgan dollar represents "three times" magnification. But suppose that same 500x500 image of a three-cent silver represents "25 times" magnification. The images would be the same size, but the magnification vastly different. So I am wondering if that magnification difference would bother anyone.

Thanks for the great and useful comments so far!

My opinion is I like pictures that are clear, concise and large enough to get a good solid look of marks and toning. If you can do that with the variant of magnification in a 500x, then great. I am always looking for good, quality pictures to lessen the chance of returning a purchase which is not helpful to you or me.

As long as the picture isn't blown up to the point to where it no longer represents the coin in hand. For example when the picture starts pixelating. I don't think you'll have that problem, mostly I have to shrink images to that level even at 5mp.

I support making the images large. If the coins were presented relative to size, very small items like gold dollars and half-dimes would be too small grade or evaluate. Making the picrtures large enough to see is good for the consumer.

I often wondered about this. I kept them the same size because it was easier for me. People (mostly, not you guys) just don't appreciate that most photos are magnifications on most display screens.

Then I realized that I would have to take photos in the slab to satisfy eBay. So now all photos are full slab so are the same size. That makes the coins proportional. All coins are still magnified (on most displays) but to the same degree as each other. Also all photos are the same size to it is easy for me. Problem solved!

No wonder people prefer large coins. They are easier to see!

Make the images large and the same size.

People should know what they're going to receive, and realize that a 3CS is not anywhere near 500 X 500 pixels in actual size.

I'm used to universal sizes. Perhaps have both?

A common practice seems to be to have a universal size for the coin itself and a universal size for the slab. The slab photo then becomes the relative size photo of the coin.