• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First strike/First day certification

2 posts in this topic

I asked this question in another forum, but realize this forum may be more appropriate.

I ordered ninety-nine (99) silver 2006 proof sets on the first day they were available from the mint. I have never opened the FedEx boxes, postmarked May 17, 2006.

Question is, can NGC certify these as first strikes if delivered to NGC in the unopened FedEx boxes?

If so what is the charge for a quantity of 99 of these proof sets.

Follow-up. Does NGC have statistics for the grades assigned to the 2006 silver proof sets submitted for first strike certification?

Thanks.

• Administrator

Thanks for your questions.

NGC no longer uses the designation “first strikes,” and it is not possible to have this applied to any new certifications. We do use the “early releases” designation, but to qualify coins must arrive at NGC within 30 days of release. No documentation or mint packaging is accepted; coins must arrive within the allotted timeframe.

Moreover, the “early releases” designation applies only to bullion coins, and coins in US proof sets are not eligible.

For both of these reasons, your coins can’t be certified as “early releases.” Click for more information about NGC release designations