• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaned

15 posts in this topic

So, I have a question that I've been wondering about for a while, now.

At what point does a cleaned coin stop being "unslabbable" by NGC and PCGS?

I know it is policy to not slab cleaned coins (or it was for a long time), but I've seen coins that are relatively old, relatively rare, and have had "very long ago" cleanings in regular ol' slabs.

At what point is that line drawn, in anyone's estimation?

I know a 1947 Walker will never be slabbed with a good scrubbing, but what about an 1805 Overton 112 50c?

Is it market acceptable with nice eye-appeal, e.g. does it show nice luster and/or has it retoned to an original looking manner.

If it is a dull AU coin with no luster remaining or a heavily worn coin that is blast white or if it looks like an oil slick then they should definitely be bb'd.

Unfortunately, many early dollars and halves used to be graded even though they were blast white and buck ugly!

Luckily with the genuine service offered, this practice has been curtailed by PCGS.

So, I have a question that I've been wondering about for a while, now.

At what point does a cleaned coin stop being "unslabbable" by NGC and PCGS?

I know it is policy to not slab cleaned coins (or it was for a long time), but I've seen coins that are relatively old, relatively rare, and have had "very long ago" cleanings in regular ol' slabs.

At what point is that line drawn, in anyone's estimation?

I know a 1947 Walker will never be slabbed with a good scrubbing, but what about an 1805 Overton 112 50c?

To my knowledge, it was never a policy not to slab any cleaned coins - it was and is, a matter of degree.

Often, the decision whether to body-bag or grade a cleaned coin is just as subjective, difficult and potentially inconsistent as is the determination of what grade to assign. It depends, among other things, on the location of the cleaning, the extent of the cleaning, how conspicuous it is, and even the type and/or date of the coin. For example, rightly or wrongly, rarer, more valuable coins are often given lattitude that more common, less valuable coins aren't.

Should I slab this coin? And if so, which service?

It is genuine, so that is not at issue.

Yes, I think you should. And since NGC cares about its customers, I recommend using them.

Should I slab this coin? And if so, which service?

It is genuine, so that is not at issue.

Yes, I think you should.

I second that. 1873 CC is a nice date (I have a G6) and yours has lots of meat to it!

It does appear that this coin has been cleaned but there is still lots of luster on the reverse. The cleaning could be forgiven, however the major rim disturbance at 5:00 on the obverse will most likely cause the coin to be body bagged.

Perhaps you should send it to NCS or even PCGS because it is still a scarce coin and deserves to be in at least a genuine holder.

Please! Keep us posted. Thanks.

81643.jpg.229a3894486453d91c525a61fc4c02ab.jpg

81644.jpg.0c69d358225e1c5720e5f53f2a769c61.jpg

It does appear that this coin has been cleaned but there is still lots of luster on the reverse. The cleaning could be forgiven, however the major rim disturbance at 5:00 on the obverse will most likely cause the coin to be body bagged.

Perhaps you should send it to NCS or even PCGS because it is still a scarce coin and deserves to be in at least a genuine holder.

I agree about 90% there. For me, I like the coin very much, even though it's been obviously cleaned. As for the body bag, I think it would bag for the cleaning and not the rim bump. I've seen coins with this kind of disturbance in slabs.

As for which service you want to use? I prefer the PCGS slab over the NCS slab. I've seen a lot of NCS slabs, taken photos of them, and they seem to be very sloppy about putting the coins into the holder. A lot of lint in the slab, and when I say a lot, I mean to the point it's distracting and on the surface of the coin. I guess it's from the label? And, the labels are kinda cheesy. The downside of the PCGS slab is that it doesn't get a net grade. In an NCS or ANACS slab it will get a net grade.

You might try to get that 1873-CC with arrows half dollar graded, but if I were a grader I'd have to body bag it. The cleaning is just too obvious for me. It is a piece that I would have to net grade to a high VF level, like VF-30.

Thanks for the opinions. All are appreciated. I bought this coin over 30 years ago, and have not submitted it to due to the fact that it has been cleaned. Over the years, several dealers and ANACS have examined it and all told me it is definitely genuine and AU+ material and suggested I get it slabbed.

Let me re-ask the question.

If YOU owned this coin, what route would YOU do.

All options respected.

Let me re-ask the question.

If YOU owned this coin, what route would YOU do.

All options respected.

leave it alone as is where is

keep it as it is

if it aint broke dont fix it