• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1851 S$1

12 posts in this topic

So I saw this, bid on it, didn't win.

Figured it was worth the gamble.

What are the odds, if it's genuine (it appears to be a restrike) that it can be sent to NCS to be plugged? Is that the likely scenario?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110401757741&viewitem=&salenotsupported

276240852_o.jpg

Filling a hole with another hole!

NCS does not plug coins.

What makes you think this is a re-strike 1851 1$ ?

Lordmarcoven would have been interested in this holey one...perhaps he won it?

I have my doubts that it is a genuine 1851 silver dollar.

The "original" variety has a date that high in the baser of Ms. Liberty. The "restrike" variety date is lower, but it does not seem to quite match up with the coin show here. For example the "5" in the date on the genuine coin is slanted, but the "5" on this piece appears to be upright. Beyond that the other markers for authentication (rust marks, and tiny die marks) are so small and delicate that I doubt that you could find them on this piece, given the condition.

My guess is that this piece is a contemporary counterfeit that some holed perhaps because it was a fake.

I have my doubts that it is a genuine 1851 silver dollar.

The "original" variety has a date that high in the baser of Ms. Liberty. The "restrike" variety date is lower, but it does not seem to quite match up with the coin show here. For example the "5" in the date on the genuine coin is slanted, but the "5" on this piece appears to be upright. Beyond that the other markers for authentication (rust marks, and tiny die marks) are so small and delicate that I doubt that you could find them on this piece, given the condition.

My guess is that this piece is a contemporary counterfeit that some holed perhaps because it was a fake.

What Bill said. :)

I actually studied the 5 at length as best I could...especially looking at the upright and the tail, and compared them with the super large Heritage archive photos. I came to the conclusion that I couldn't tell from the photo.

If I had won the coin and received it, I would have done, of course, a better diagnostic on it. There really was not much of a gamble, because if it had been a counterfeit, I would simply have returned it.

but NCS doesn't plug holes, huh? Interesting.

but NCS doesn't plug holes, huh? Interesting.

No, that’s really very exacting work, and it takes a real artist/craftsman to do it well. It even takes the right materials. It was my understanding that the guy in Kentucky who did it for years would buy up damaged and mangled old coins to get the silver for his plugs.

I’ve seen a few repaired pieces that were virtually undetectable.

It would be fascinating if this was a genuine restrike that happened to escape in the misty depths of time into circulation...I would have no problem getting it filled. That would be quite the conversation piece.

First thing that came to my mind is "that second '1' sure looks strong compared to the rest of the date." I recommend you compare the font of the "8" with the font of the restrike. They don't appear the same to me.

It's a fake. You're looking at the wrong side. Look at the word UNITED on the reverse. This is from that well known chinese die with the severe doubling on UNITED. The U is doubled almost half its own width and the doubling decreases as you go through the word. They've tried to hide it with the wear but the doubling on the U and the T are still clearly visible.

I'll check it out! Thanks! It's a tad weird, as the seller is selling bucketloads of coins, and I am of the belief that they're not purposely selling counterfeits, so they must have picked it up in whatever huge purchasing they did.

Still, pretty interesting....