• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting Boxes of US coins..

11 posts in this topic

Ok.. I have been at my bank many times looking for coins. Lincolns, Dimes, Nickels.. apparently the people at the bank when they order coins get whatever is sent by the mint. In other words they can't specify new boxes etc. How do you spot a box of new coins? Is it marked a certain way? I have a couple boxes of Log Cabin 1 cents and both boxes if you look at the rolls thru the holes are all new pennies... at least on the end of each roll... and there is a big black N on the box? N = New? My bank has boxes but its hard to tell whats in them without opening them. Some you can see discolored coins thru the holes and I can only assume those are not new.

Looking through the holes and make sure all of them have the same date.

There is no way to determine what is really inside without opening it!!

If the bank has any Kennedy's I would grab them in a heartbeat. I always grab them so I can look for silver coins!!

Looking through the holes and make sure all of them have the same date.

There is no way to determine what is really inside without opening it!!

If the bank has any Kennedy's I would grab them in a heartbeat. I always grab them so I can look for silver coins!!

I had a buddy that hit the big one on silver coins one day. He asked for some rolls of halfs or something I forget which and he got some rolls that looked old.. Turned out... 100% silver coins in each roll. He went back to get more and someone else figured out the rolls were all silver coins and bought the rest of them.

Its hard to see the dates thru the holes.. The box retains more desire and value unopened. I wasn't sure if the black "N" meant anything. Its on both of the boxes I have that are all brand new coins. I'm heading to the bank today. I might spend more time looking at their stock of boxes.

Your bank likely obtains its boxes of coins from a third party such as Brink's or some other source and not directly from the US Mint. The only way that I know of is to do as you do and check each roll through the holes provided in the box.

I think they do buy from a third party. I'll have to ask the people I know and see for sure. If thats the case I may never get any clean rolls of new dimes of nickels.

Many banks have a "penny collectors club" that you can sign up for. It not usually advertised, but you can always ask.

Yesterday I hit the motherload. I actually got 3 boxes of formative years. One box has all the holes in it with a big black "N" The other boxes are Brinks boxes and there is no way to tell whats inside. I opened them and they contained all new Formative years in plastic rolls. I picked up some Kennedy halves that turned up no silver or errors so back into circulation they go. I also grabbed a box of nickels. I want to break the rolls up and see if any 2009 coins are in the box. The way its looking.. No.

I`m goin to several banks monday for nickles, hoping to find a few 2009. some may have trickled down by now. i need two for the dansco and any others i will put on ebay, the prices are insane!

I`m goin to several banks monday for nickles, hoping to find a few 2009. some may have trickled down by now. i need two for the dansco and any others i will put on ebay, the prices are insane!

I have a whole box to pilfer thru later. I'll let ya know if I find any.