• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is it ?

10 posts in this topic

I truly enjoyed that last post of JamminJ's - nice touch with the quiz truth wink.gif So let's see what happens with this one.

Please try to provide as much information as possible about the following coin.

link.jpg

Ok, some questions. What is the diameter, metal composition? Obverse appears to be a Xmas tree with candlelights. An aniversary of Dec 25th, 1530, Xmas.200 years. Reverse reads something about our God brought forth this light 200 years ago only to prove to us? More hints please.

TRUTH

Toughie.

It's clearly a German gold coin from 1730 commemorating the 200th anniversarty of some event in 1530. While I can't read them, the legends are in German rather than Latin which implies a protestant rather than Catholic state. There's a religious undertone to the legend due to the mention of "gott".

The big event for the year 1530 was the Diet of Augsburg, called by Emperor Charles V, where the protastant/Catholic religious strife and preparations for was against the Turks were discussed. The main religious document of the diet was the "Augsburg Confession" where the tenets of Lutheran theology were laid down. The confession was presented to the emperor on 25 June 1530 so that's the date of commemoration on the coin. This event is second in importance to protastants only to the nailing of Luther's theses to the church door.

And with a little help from the history above the coin can be found on page 229 of the 3rd edition 18th century Krause, Bishopric (German state) of Augsburg KM141, a gold ducut! A one year type, valued at $250 in Fine, $500 in VF and $1,000 in XF. Not sure why a menorah appears on this coin.

Great coin, GDJMSP, shanks for sharing and another enjoybale hunt!

If anyone can provide a real translation of the legends I'd be appreciative. I have a reformation anniversatry coin around here somewhere, I'll post a picture later.

-JamminJ

Not bad JamminJ - not bad at all ! I'm impressed even 893applaud-thumb.gif

To be honest I figured you guys would nail this coin - just not quite that fast as it is not very well known.

Now for that translation you wanted -

NUN LEUCHT/DIS LICHT 200 IAHR DASSELB UNS GOTT NOCH FORTBEWAHR

May the same light shine another 200 years, if God so desires it.

Thanks! As for the translation, I kept getting "lamp" instead of light from the online translator. For me the history drove me to coins, rather than the other way around, so I don't find it nearly as much fun to just say "KMxxx in VF35" than to figure out what the coin commemorates and where it fit into the patchwork of German history.

OK here's my mystery reformation coin, but it should be easier compared to the last one:

354506-mystery_coin.jpg

-JamminJ

Hmm? 1717 200TH anniversary of the reformation(1517, martin luther, 95 thesis, et. al) commemorative. 1/8 thaler, silver, frankfurt, german states, page 970, krause 1991 edition. VG $50, VF $200, XF $300 quite a scarce piece. Reverse reads " In commemoration of the 200 year jubilee celebration of the evangelical secularization"

TRUTH

Hmm? 1717 200TH anniversary of the reformation(1517, martin luther, 95 thesis, et. al) commemorative. 1/8 thaler, silver, frankfurt, german states, page 970, krause 1991 edition. VG $50, VF $200, XF $300 quite a scarce piece. Reverse reads " In commemoration of the 200 year jubilee celebration of the evangelical secularization"

TRUTH

You got it!

-JamminJ