• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof/Mint Sets

13 posts in this topic

Best place is a local shop you know and trust. Otherwise.. Ebay, Property Room (over priced auctions most of the time) The Branch Mint sells them.. lots of online places. I usually buy from ebay and people I have dealt with in the past. Just be sure to check their feedback.. read the comments good or bad. Sure there is some members selling them as well.

The problem with my "local shops" is all three of them are crooked! I have witnessed them ripping people off and will not deal with them (makes me sick to know they are what I have to choose from and I am not willing to help support them). I haven't had a chance to deal with anyone else outside of my area yet.

I am a very cautious buyer and I have been all over eBay. Not too willing to deal there but I will if I have to. I usually ask too many questions for the seller if they don't post enough information and or pictures of the coins for sale.

What is "The Branch Mint" and the "Property Room" you mentioned?

I am looking for older sets first (I am open to any though). Obviously I am looking for a deal..but I know that I may have to pay for what I want if I cannot find it anywhere else.

www.thebranchmint.com

www.propertyroom.com

I use the branchmint just a seller on the net. Property room is another auction site.. a lot different than ebay. Its a police auction site as well. I have a pal that buys there all the time. Never one complaint. I personally think the prices there are too high. I compare auctions with the branch mint site and what I can out right buy a set for. Look around before bidding on something. Do some searching.

Our local shop sells at gray sheet price.

The problem with my "local shops" is all three of them are crooked! I have witnessed them ripping people off and will not deal with them (makes me sick to know they are what I have to choose from and I am not willing to help support them). I haven't had a chance to deal with anyone else outside of my area yet.

I am a very cautious buyer and I have been all over eBay. Not too willing to deal there but I will if I have to. I usually ask too many questions for the seller if they don't post enough information and or pictures of the coins for sale.

What is "The Branch Mint" and the "Property Room" you mentioned?

I am looking for older sets first (I am open to any though). Obviously I am looking for a deal..but I know that I may have to pay for what I want if I cannot find it anywhere else.

It's a shame you don't have a local shop that you can trust. That's where I buy my sets now because I get to pick and choose.

BTW if "ripping people off" is paying less than bid for coins, that might not be a true rip-off. The bid price on the Coin Dealer News Letter is actually the retail price for most of the common items. A dealer can only pay a price that grives him a reasaonable profit when he sells an item.

I know that everyone is in business to make a profit and I am more than willing to help out, if I can afford it and I am not taking a loss. I am happy to pay fair market value for everything that I want, less if possible of course and sometimes more if it is a difficult item to find.

But, I have witnessed and let myself be subject to deliberate fraudulent acts by my local dealers. Each dealer has proven himself, more than once, to be untrustworthy to me and I am done with them.

The worst is taxes on coins (what is the code that I need to quote to anyone that doesn't know it?). I argue with antique dealers from time to time about it since they are not in the mainstream on that, but when I see a dealer charging it, it turns my stomach.

I travel quite a bit within a 250 mile area of home and each city/location has different attitudes toward their customers. Some great and some not so great.

I have visited quite a few dealers that are great and I would do anything to do business with, but I just don't get there enough.

I guess that until someone opens up a trustworthy shop within my comfort zone, I will just trudge along as I have been.

Joe S.

The worst is taxes on coins (what is the code that I need to quote to anyone that doesn't know it?). I argue with antique dealers from time to time about it since they are not in the mainstream on that, but when I see a dealer charging it, it turns my stomach.

Are you talking about Sales Tax? If so, you should know coins are taxed in some states, including mine.

I do include Sales Tax in my prices so the buyer is already getting a 6% discount.

Ben

Does anyone have a good place to purchase proof and mint sets? I am always looking for more to add to my collection.

Joe S. (thumbs u

Joe, I have some sets that end early Monday morning on ebay.

17 hours remaining

2007 Complete Silver and Clad Proof Sets

1960, 1990, 2002, 2003 US Mint Sets (some are currently selling for less than face)

p.s. I'd show the link whether in was my auction or not if I thought it was a good deal. FYI only