• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Commeratives

10 posts in this topic

Unless you want to get registry points and try to be top dog, I don't think that it's worth it to pay for the MS and PR-70 coins. The preservation differences are practically unnoticeable.

In fact I have not collected certified modern commemorative coins at all. I prefer these coins in their original mint packaging with the Certificates of Authenticity, known as COA for short. Some commemorative coins are issued in cardboard holders that might have stamps, medals or other items connected with celebrated place or event. These can add collector interest. I find certified commemorative coins to be very sterile and not that interesting because they almost never come with the original boxes and COAs.

In short.

No. the difference in a 69 and a 70 is microscopic. (My opinion only)

*edit* Bill and I posted at the same time, I agree with him 100%

I'm with the other guys! Don't go the 70 route. A big waste of money even though the grade is sexXxy!

I have a complete and current set of modern commemorative silver dollars housed in Dansco albums.

I have most of the halve but still missing a lot of the uncirculated ones. 15 of the proof halves are in NGC PR69 UC holders. I once went to sell them on ebay and everyone wanted them less than they'd cost raw. They are a terrible investment. That is why I refused to sell them. I have a Dansco album and I'll crack them out someday and put them in it.

I'd actually highly recommend collecting this way but keep the Original Government Packaging with the COA in case you ever want to sell them. It's a pain keeping all of the boxes but I can't bring myself to throw them away.

And even though Bill and I have the same collecting interests, our methods vary. I don't see how one could enjoy a complete set all packed away in boxes like that. Plus, the problem of storage and security is a problem. As it is, my silver dollar commems fit nicely in my safe deposit box. Try cramming all of the boxes in one!

Anyway, just my experience and opinion talking........

Welcome :hi:

I think you will get much more enjoyment in the PF69 coins. I would also buy them on ebay where you can get them in a NGC holder for almost the same cost as the mint was selling them for.

I prefer these coins in their original mint packaging with the Certificates of Authenticity, but dont collect them. alot of ugly designs on modern commemoratives.

And even though Bill and I have the same collecting interests, our methods vary. I don't see how one could enjoy a complete set all packed away in boxes like that.

My mind is full of "virtual mind collections." The only things I keep in albums are my 19th and early 20th century presidential campaign tokens. The rest is in a checklist that is in my brain. That applies to my modern commemoratives. One thing than compensates for my virtual collection is view are the commemorative sets that came in wooden boxes with Proof and Uncirculated coins in the same set. I like to view those intact. They are kind of like a group of “poorman’s Pan-pac sets."

As for my type set, which totals well over 140 coins, I’ve never seen that in an album like setting. It’s just not sort of thing one could do unless you crackout the coins and make up a custom alum. If I were Bill Gates, I’d do that. But since I’m Bill Jones I can’t afford it.

I made a BIG mistake cracking my type coins for a Dansco 7070 early in my collecting endeavors. Even though I had good coin sources and a developing good eye, I got seriously burned on some upon resubmission.

I had a PR67 1942 Type II Jefferson that became a 65. My gorgeous NGC PR66 RB 2c is now PCGS PR65 Brown (Yuk!), the PR66 RB IHC was a bb, the PR66 Cam 1880 Shield nickel is now PR65 Cam and the 1909 Liberty nickel also dropped a grade to 64 Cameo (which is bogus). However, I did get the cameo designation on my 1870 and 1905 proof dimes that weren't there before. The others, although upgrade material, came back the same grades. Submissions were in Nov. 2008 when PCGS was trying to tighten up their image, though, because of CAC. Still, it was a very harsh and expensive lesson even though they are the same coins. doh!

I would echo the idea that collecting these in original governement packaging gives the most flexibility and liquidity at the lowest price.

First of all....welcome to the show!

If you are looking to buy some of the newer coins....some of the prices for the PF70s have dropped lately. I have been able to pick up a few between $70-$100 which seems a fair price to me. I can't comment on the MS since I don't collect those in modern comms.

But if registry points are not that important to you...PF69 is the way to go as others have stated. Nothing like paying for coin already slabbed for the price it cost to buy it raw. :golfclap:

Also the US Mint does quite a good job with the production of these coins. They usually have a very good chance of getting a PF70. This year was the first time I purchased 2 of the proof comms...Lincoln and Braille. I did get back one PF70 from each. The coins from the years previous, I only purchased one and had very good luck with returns of 70s from NGC. So in the future, this might be a way to pick up a few 70s for cost plus slabbing.

Always remember..its your collection...do as you want and enjoy.

Best of luck in your collecting