• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling Foriegn coin lot recomendations ?

4 posts in this topic

I just want raise a little $$ and unload a bunch of foriegn coins accummulated through our estate sale business. There all approx. 1930's-1970's. About 100-150 of them. Anyone know anyone here that would buy this kinda stuff at approx. 1/2 off market value to take it all ? Also , are they worth at least face value ? I would suppose so. Do I do sales thread in the Marketplace ? :)

Sorry , I'm comic geek. :gossip:

I have to tell ya...I have tried all sorts of stuff to unload some stuff like this on E-Bay. VERY few takers and then it's goes cheap cheap. Not much interest out there unless you find some scarcer pieces...and even THOSE are hard to unload.

I had about 1200 or more from late 1800's to mid 1900's, tried numerous listings, selling by countries (India, Hong Kong and Tibet sold) scarcer pieces, sets, ...VERY little action. So, I've done 2 things. While I am still hunting for better pieces through the mass of stuff...found a few...but I have been giving coins away to kids at the schools where I teach. Middle and High School (I'm a retired teacher and am actually enjoying subbing). Lots of interest in the middle school, interest wanes a bit in the high school as other "interests" move in....and, I found a charity online that will accept donations like this and will allow you to assign the value of the donation for tax purposes.

For the coins to sell, I have tried as little as 25% catalog value on E-Bay and even better minor stuff doesn't generate much if any interest.

Donate the coins...to the cub scouts, to a charity online, or give to a school teacher friend and let him/her see if he/she can get kids interested in collecting. No tax credit that way...but just knowing that you might have started some kids on a lifetime hobby is a neat feeling.

Ri AL

I have to tell ya...I have tried all sorts of stuff to unload some stuff like this on E-Bay. VERY few takers and then it's goes cheap cheap. Not much interest out there unless you find some scarcer pieces...and even THOSE are hard to unload.

I had about 1200 or more from late 1800's to mid 1900's, tried numerous listings, selling by countries (India, Hong Kong and Tibet sold) scarcer pieces, sets, ...VERY little action. So, I've done 2 things. While I am still hunting for better pieces through the mass of stuff...found a few...but I have been giving coins away to kids at the schools where I teach. Middle and High School (I'm a retired teacher and am actually enjoying subbing). Lots of interest in the middle school, interest wanes a bit in the high school as other "interests" move in....and, I found a charity online that will accept donations like this and will allow you to assign the value of the donation for tax purposes.

For the coins to sell, I have tried as little as 25% catalog value on E-Bay and even better minor stuff doesn't generate much if any interest.

Donate the coins...to the cub scouts, to a charity online, or give to a school teacher friend and let him/her see if he/she can get kids interested in collecting. No tax credit that way...but just knowing that you might have started some kids on a lifetime hobby is a neat feeling.

Ri AL

Thank you ! (thumbs u

If the coins will be graded by NGC and PCGS in mint state, then they might be marketable. But demand for most world coins is weak to begin with and for those listed on eBay, most buyers will not pay a good price because so many problem cons are sold there.