• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Set Building- Amazing Revelation

2 posts in this topic

Between coins, grading and supplies, I have spend an amazing amount of money the past three weeks. It's been great receiving package after package of coins, heck I was even excited about getting my NGC membership package which contained the 5 State Quarter Multi-Coin Holder as part of my membership. No big deal as I already have ton's of Mint and Proof sets but at the same time it *was* a big deal.

Just last year (?) I was sitting at my local dealer, he poured out Silver, Silver and More Silver onto the table and he let me go through it. I picked out the best examples I could of as many dates and mint marks I could find.... $1 to $2 Each. Although I did not find anything out of the ordinary like the 1932-P,D&S Quarters, I did find what I thought were some great coins; AU/BU.

As I am upgrading my set and starting a set for my son, it is really amazing how I look back at some of the coins I picked up throughout the year, how great they looked back then and I realize... I must have had a horrible eye for coins back then.

My Washington Quarter collection is technically complete but upon further inspection, I have a few coins that are hurting, a few more that are AU but hurt my eyes compared to the BU, MS and Proofs. Ditto for my Jefferson collection.

If any rookies are looking for advice on setting up a collection, get to know the series, take a good look at the grade/pictures on ebay, don't drop a ton of money on the collection when you first start and save the big money for when you are more familiar with the series.

-Dave

Our tastes evolve as we learn more about coins. While there is a tendency for them to change similarly in all collectors, it's a very individual thing. I like AU Washingtons again, but only those which are attractive with nice even wear or rub.A poorly struck, stained, or dinged up AU can be very unattractive to my eyes and this goes many times over if it's a coin that's not difficult to find in more pleasing grades or unc.