• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1988 Prestige Set "In Bad Shape"

4 posts in this topic

I recenlty purchased a 88 Prestige set for next to nothing ($20.00). The box and coa are missing, the blue suede case is in bad shape and the plastic case is cracked.

My first question is: Is it possible to replace these missing/dammaged parts.

Second, what is that "fog" that is creeping in on the edge of the coin? (Is it removable/stoppable?)

Help!

Joe S.

I have the "87" set. I have the same creeping fog. The luster of the coins is getting hazy. My other components.. box etc are in excellent shape. I have seen on ebay from time to time remnants of sets such as boxes, lenses etc.. just have to watch ebay.

Is the haze due to the surround, case, humidity, ????? What do we do if it starts with something much more valuable (that is my biggest worrie)?

I am going to break up the set (just to keep them in the best possible condition), for now. But I would love to get all new case/display/box/coa for them (is that okay to do, or do I have to have the original?)?

Any advice?

I might buy slabbed coins but I have yet to send a coin in. Personally I think the sets are better off in the original box etc. I try to buy old sets in unopened boxes. Unopened usually brings a better price. Good luck finding the Prestige packaging. Maybe you should buy another set and put the best coins in the packaging and sell the others.