• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AU50 to AU58 Coins

11 posts in this topic

I generally prefer ChAU and sliders. They tend to have the eye appeal of a ChMS specimen, but with a small bit of rub that I generally have a hard time seeing unless I look carefully.

And, the price difference caters well to my parsimony!

smile.gif

EVP

I have yet to find a 1927-S buffalo nickel in anything from MS60-64 that beats the appearance of my AU58. Sliders can be a fantastic value. Many times, I am comparing strike in the series I collect, so the upper AU coins are every bit of my consideration.

Hoot

I have a whole pile of Gold Half Eagle, MS62's in PCGS Holders, that are not MS62's. This is because someone there decided to undergrade US Gold coins. So, keep 'em coming as far as I am concerned. The one attached is a PCGS MS62, 1901-S/O of which NGC has only graded about 40.:p

65962-1901SOEagle.jpg.8e5bac2f5c9fdf7293764364f419e109.jpg

Thanks, St. John. I will take all that I can find of the PCGS MS62 undergraded coins. Plus the one I posted is an extremely scarce overdate. I will catch or at least get closer to you soon, as soon as I finish my Short Half Eagle Set. tongue.gif

As for me, my copper collecting is more predicated by the color of the coins, not the specific grade. I chose to collect a set of Canadian Large cents that were all the same color and between EF and AU (Canadian standards) in grade. I don't want black planchets, I don't want striated planchets...I want nice, clean, chocolate brown coins that all match in a set.

I understand fully, however, for most people collecting silver and nickel this is not so much of an issue...but consider the copper collector and it becomes most of the ball of wax.

I mainly hunt for varieties, so remaining details is usually more important to me than flash (have a type set too, tho). Often the only difference between an XF45 and AU50 is amount of luster. Same can be said for AU55 and 58. Don't see 53 much, and when I do it's usually an uneven coin (one side 58 other 50 but weakly struck.) AU58 gets used a lot for coins with UNC details and minor problems, often without any "net" grading. If they have a ton of eye appeal the TPG services seem to let them through, so be careful when buying sight-unseen. still a lot of bang for the buck IMHO.