• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QVC ex-mounted coin -acceptable for conservation / holdering?

2 posts in this topic

Greetings.

I have a Queen Victoria Siver Crown circa 1847 in my posession. The coin has been with our family for at least the past 45 years. The coin must have been in a swing holder at some point before that, as I noticed a small circular hole on the one side of the coin and what seems to be a filled in hole diagonally across on the other side. The hole(s) are very shallow and cannot be observed from either the obverse or the reverse, but can be seen under magnification when inspecting it side - on. It is therefore not visible as a rim nick.Does this type of interference with the coin disqualify it from concervation / holdering? I have entered a more general discussion forum, but have not received a definitive answer one way or the other. What makes it more difficult to judge, is that the pin-hole(s) do not interfere with the cinquefoil edge engraving which is original to the coin. It would be a pity to have a coin of this quality religated back to obscurity.

Many thanks.

81148.jpg.81557619e0a19d4638b2a02c10398057.jpg