• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 Coins lost in the twilight zone!

18 posts in this topic

Maybe its where I live but I have yet to find a 2009 dime or nickel. I have found one Log cabin and Formative years 1 cent coins. Also.. is there any new "News" on the 2009 Proof Eagles?

I ask weekly about the rolls or boxes and I have friends at the bank.. Nothing notta zip! :o

Also.. is there any new "News" on the 2009 Proof Eagles?

From US Mint Website!!

Production of United States Mint American Eagle Silver Proof and Uncirculated Coins has been temporarily suspended because of unprecedented demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins. Currently, all available silver bullion blanks are being allocated to the American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin Program, as the United States Mint is required by Public Law 99-61 to produce these coins “in quantities sufficient to meet public demand . . . .”

The United States Mint will resume the American Eagle Silver Proof and Uncirculated Coin Programs once sufficient inventories of silver bullion blanks can be acquired to meet market demand for all three American Eagle Silver Coin products.

From US Mint Website!!

Production of United States Mint American Eagle Silver Proof and Uncirculated Coins has been temporarily suspended because of unprecedented demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins. Currently, all available silver bullion blanks are being allocated to the American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin Program, as the United States Mint is required by Public Law 99-61 to produce these coins “in quantities sufficient to meet public demand . . . .”

The United States Mint will resume the American Eagle Silver Proof and Uncirculated Coin Programs once sufficient inventories of silver bullion blanks can be acquired to meet market demand for all three American Eagle Silver Coin products.

Thats old news my brother.... Silver, gold etc have all dropped... so surely the time is getting near for proofs.

From US Mint Website!!

Thats old news my brother.... Silver, gold etc have all dropped... so surely the time is getting near for proofs.

U are the one that asked!!

From US Mint Website!!

U are the one that asked!!

With Silver dropping there could be some people out there that go with buy low, sale high. Meaning that with the silver dropping then people might buy more?

Quite possibly more.. there are a lot of factors to consider such as available cash in peoples pockets !

I just want my refund to come through.. email from US Mint confirming refund.. 06/3 .. 12 days ago ? time to call the bank ?

It is a nice opportunity for the mint to "create" a low mintage ASE. (relatively speaking) I can see the first NGC PF70 - Winning Bid - $26,000,000.01

And some lucky fool will have all three of them! :insane:

So much attention on the hardly scarce Lincoln 1 cent coins and the copper release as well. The coins are in (UNC, Proof, Silver Proof and Chronicles) Hardly making them a rarity. Complete 2009 sets may be a rarity. I was hoping the copper 1 cents would only be in one particular set. Now I am hearing they will be in all 4 sets.

I don't get how the satin unc set is so... cheap? Especially the 2005 initial release set. Copper satin 1 cents? Surely those numbers would be lower... but worthless?

What about those dimes and nickels? Seems to me those are going to be much more desirable in terms of rarity than any other coin at this point for "09" So much focus on the four 1 cent coins.

Finding a complete set Unc, proof etc might be a challenge at some point.

So is it just me or could the proofs this year be pretty rare?

I wondered the same thing. hm

If it is going to be remotely "rare", it better have a mintage much lower than the 30,152 for the 1995-W. Despite having by far the lowest mintage of any proof ASE, that mintage still leaves it as a very common coin. And bar none, it is the most overpriced coin in the world.

I went thru an entire box of nickels I bought the other day. Not one single 2009 nickel out of 2000

That doesn't suprise me, I think most of the 2009 stuff is still sitting in the Federal Reserve waiting to go out when the banks request it.

In terms of the proof coins,they can sell them with a date of 2009 long into 2010 actually.Consider what the mint did with the lp2 cents.They saw the mass hysteria that the LP1 coins caused and in a brilliant marketing move made and sold many more mint rolled sets of LP 2 cents..Check the mintages.Unless I am reading it wrong the mint made less of the LP2 cents than the LP1 cents and yet sold 96,0000 2 roll sets(LP1) as opposed to continuing to sell the LP2 sets even now with sales of over 224,000 sets.

My point is this while we all might ponder a small mintage of 2009 proof SAE s the mint will probably make more than in previous years.It would only make sense to capitalize on the frenzy for these collector coins knowing that many of us are going to purchase more than our usual amount of these coins.The mint employees read the blogs,magazines,and coin forums just like we do and understand the demand that will be for these coins.

True, but it is also in the best long term interest that the mint produce an occasional "rare coin" if you want to call it that. Or simply "lower mintage" coinage.

Here is a good opportunity to do just that. I hope they reduce significantly the mintage this year.