• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1988 Olypiad Dollar (What is that?)

3 posts in this topic

I rescued a 1988 Prestige set from an antique dealer. The box was missing, papers missing, dislplay case ruined and the plastic case is cracked. I bought it for little to nothing and would love to revive it, but, the dollar has something wrong with it. On both sides, where the insert meets the coin edge, there is a hugh that is on both sides about 1/4" in from the edge and all the way around the coin.

What is that and can it be stopped (or professionally removed)?

It is only on the "Olympiad Dollar". The Half, Quarter, Dime, Nickel and Penny are not effected, just the Dollar.

I assume you meant 'hue' instead of 'hugh,' and this hue is likely toning, perhaps desirable. If it's just hazy and ugly, there are chemical solutions available that will remove the toning.

Could you post a picture?

I presume that the 1988 dollar you are talking about is the commemorative coin for the 1988 Olympics. The coin is very common and in my opinion, it would be a waste of money to have someone such as NCS attempt to conserve it. It would be cheaper just to go buy another one. Others on this board could help you if you want to try to do this yourself.