• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Active PVC contamination??

9 posts in this topic

I was looking to purchase a MS graded 80 CC and ran across this item on ebay. (200348967499) Sorry, I don't know how to import the image, but for those of you that don't mind checking is that active PVC on this coin? Image #3 (around the mint mark) looks really bad to me. This looks like a newer holder, I can't believe it has PVC. Could this just be a strange toning pattern or is it PVC??

No.It looks like toning to me. And there is very little chance a pvc contaminated coin would get through NGC grading. I'm not saying it can't happen,but pvc contamination is one of the main things they look for .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't green one of the more advanced toning colors? Looks like I see some small areas in the hairlines also.

prudden, it does not look like toning to me. Yes, green is one of the colors a coin can tone, but it isn't going to look like that - that has much more the look of mild corrosion or possibly PVC. There is just no way to tell what it is from teh pictures alone. A little bit of green stuff, as Douglas mentions, does get through on occasion. This appears rather minor, and I'm sure that most people would miss it when looking at the coin for 20 seconds.

I think that, most of the time, the graders do spot corrosion, and simply factor into the final grade.

I remember the poly-bag inside the PVC flip now. And a few years back, they switched to non-pvc flips and no polybag. But, the particular brand they were/are using is a very thin ply, and so its a little more flexible than a lot of the other, more rigid mylar flips, making it seem like a PVC flip.

prudden, it does not look like toning to me. Yes, green is one of the colors a coin can tone, but it isn't going to look like that - that has much more the look of mild corrosion or possibly PVC. There is just no way to tell what it is from teh pictures alone. A little bit of green stuff, as Douglas mentions, does get through on occasion. This appears rather minor, and I'm sure that most people would miss it when looking at the coin for 20 seconds.

Now that I see that close up of the tail area,I think it very well could be pvc or corrosion. Spoke too soon.I was looking at the full pictures and didn't check the others. Man,gotta look closer next time I spout off and quit being lazy.Sorry.