• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this double-talk?

11 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to whether anyone else feels that this sellers assertion is "double-talk" or contradictory...

This coin is stated in the listing as BU (which it is not) however in his disclaimer he says right at the beginning that he does not assign grade...is calling a coin BU a grade or only if he assigns a numeric grade?

The auction is a cheapo price so the harm is minimal..but it still seems to be another half honest ebay seller..but with 12,000 transactions and 100% --well that's a lot of happy people.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Choice-BU-1941-S-Silver-Walking-Liberty-Half-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ270404059647QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item3ef55681ff&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Looking at some of his other Walker auctions, it appears his AU condition coins are actually XF, his MS conditions are actually AU.

I think what he is doing is just plugging the date/mint mark into a generic already plated description and going with that.

Double talk, no, over graded assigned actual raw grades, yes.

I want to say BU is a grade, it's not a number grade,but nowadays it's lost some meaning,especially in Ebay terms..The problem is some people think BU is 63-64,some think it's lower.The word Gem is even worse.It seems anything Unc. is a Gem these days.I would like to know at least if the seller considers the coin circulated or uncirulated. This seller has been around a loong time and I believe has always been very liberal with the grades.

The coin is actually described as "Choice BU" which is different from "BU" or "Gem BU".

He pretty much only uses "Choice BU" in his current auctions so I was just about to call this accidental and not double-speak (assuming he didn't know better - hey, he also uses "Choice AU") until I noticed several of his closed auctions include "Gem BU".

He knows that BU, Choice BU and Gem BU describe coins of different levels of quality. That's grading. More specifically, all three describe coins without circulation wear, and since he also uses the term "AU" he understands that distinction too, so by using BU he's definitely stating the coin is uncirculated. That's a broad grading, but it's still grading.

I had a couple of transactions with this seller some years ago -- when he bought some coins from me! Interestingly, they ended up on eBay a full grade higher than what I had sold them for.

Coincidentally ;) , his coins always seem to be a grade lower than his advertised grade. And yes, "BU" is a grade, just not an ANA grade.

I don't know if this is sad or funny but I knew who you were referring to even before i clicked through to the eBay page. I have him blocked on all my saved searches so his doesn't come up anymore.

The coin is an AU slider at best. Since he is starting the auction around melt, I would just ignore his comments about grade anyhow. It looks like he is blowing out a circ roll of Walkers at melt coin by coin; I would think the shipping would eat him up.

For describing raw mint state coins (in 2x2's for Junk Box coins under $50) I use the following rule of thumb:

Generally, the description for coins graded MS 63 - 64 would be Choice Unc or Choice BU in my view. Coins I consider MS 65 or better I describe as Gem Unc or Gem BU. Mint State coins I consider less than MS 63 I describe as simply Unc or BU. In many instances I will put my opinion as to numerical grade in code on the back of the holder along with market retail and cost (both in code). In pricing these coins for junk box I simply match my code for the numeric grade with Coin World Trends. If I think Trends is too high, I will fudge it down. When a buyer picks out a group of coins say they total $26, I will usually fudge it down to something like $20 assuming I am still at a decent level of profit. There are many times when I have offered a guy a deal like this at a show and he pulls out a $20 bill from his wallet - its the only money he had in there! One fellow came back 20 minutes later and needed $2 for parking so I gave it to him. I want their business but they need to leave money for parking!

Grading that coin as choice BU would be about the same as me saying I have a full head of hair ( I have very little hair left on my head) . These sellers can assign any grade they want and fool people who don’t know better.

He was outed on the PCGS site as a dealer NOT to do business with. His stuff is always overgraded and his descriptions are baloney.

On eye appeal alone this coin does not cut it for me, after all does not BU stand for Brilliant Uncirculated? This coin is neither brilliant nor uncirculated. I've always found honesty is the best policy when I sell coins on e-bay, even at the loss of a little money on the sale.