• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is there anything out there like a dino-lite digital microscope with decent

19 posts in this topic

quality under 250 bucks? i saw a dino-lite 413 for about 400 but YIKES! i like the convenience of hooking it up to the puter and viewing it on the screen but YIKES the price! doh!

The digital blue QX5 has issues with slabs, you usually must remove the scope from the stand to visualize coins at 60x and cannot easily do it at 200x. I have had this for a couple of years and have been pretty much satisfied, but the one AB presented in his post is intriguing.

Thanks AB----Jim

Hey thanks for posting on this.. Picked up the 311.

........how do you like it? are you able to shoot the whole coin? what about a slabbed coin? did it come with a stand or is that sold separately? one more..........HOW MUCH? :wishluck:

Still waiting for it.. Comes with a stand. I will do a follow up when I get the device. Should have it in my possesion first of the week.

Still waiting for it.. Comes with a stand. I will do a follow up when I get the device. Should have it in my possesion first of the week.

........that's great, i'll be watching for your testimonial (or trashing) of the dino. here is an excellent site on the dino, by the way. it is very informative and helps the customer figure out which model might be better for their use. is your specific model here? i see there are different models of the 311.

:popcorn:

here's the link.

http://www.microscope.com/dinolite-am413tad413t-13mp-measuring-p-579.html

steve

I ordered... the 311A... I think. I would have to look at my order. I'll post on how well it does or does not do. I do high end welding as well and hope it comes in handy for inspection. I hope the quality is there.

The digital blue QX5 has issues with slabs, you usually must remove the scope from the stand to visualize coins at 60x and cannot easily do it at 200x. I have had this for a couple of years and have been pretty much satisfied, but the one AB presented in his post is intriguing.

Thanks AB----Jim

NP....Let us know if you get one and how it works for you.

Got my Dinolite today.. I didn't get much time to play with it yet but my first impressions are good. Only one problem. It said it came with a stand.. Well its more of a general holder not an adjustable stand. Software auto updated as soon as I started the program. It has a lot of settings but I was disappointed that I couldn't get a resolution higher than 640X480 but its not a critical issue. Still trying to figure out how to control the color. I'm sure its operator error but color disappears the closer you get. One thing is for sure, if your coin has scratches.. they show up big time and you can really zoom in.

Get an adjustable stand. Its to hard to hold the camera and get a picture and the little holder is to restricting to use for taking pictures.

I will update more as I figure it out.

I ordered a nice stand. Cost 95 bucks but its very adjustable. Most places are sold out of stands and scopes. This thing is pretty useful for more than looking at coins. Here is one huge example of the first image I took with the scope. Bear in mind I have used it for less than 30 minutes. "88" my year of graduation!

1rst.jpg

..........thanks for checking back on the dino. pictures look pretty good. no stand, you say. 95 extra for a stand.....hmmm. i wonder if the 311 will take a full pic. i'm sure you'll check on that. does it have an on off switch or do you have to unplug from the computer? fill us in, we is listening for you. :preach:

steve

Oh yeah.. you can turn the led's off.. on. Its all software driven. It powers up when you open the software. I'm sure you can take a full pic of a coin. You just need a stand to back up from the coin a bit. I didn't hesistate to get the stand. Its a necessity. 95 bucks was a bit steep but its a pretty solid and a nice stand versus the cheap flexable one. Pictures can get much closer and further away for full view with a good stand. Trying to hold it steady in hand is a lost cause. Its magnifying so any movement is grossly exaggerated on screen. The focus on it is just like a camera. You have a barrel that twists. I like it. Let me get the stand and put up some more pics of the whole contraption. Then you can decide if you want to spend the money. I'll keep updating.

I have some coins I am going to buy and I want to use the scope on them. I will put those pics up once I get my stand.