• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first (Beat Up) DBH...

7 posts in this topic

Draped Bust Halves are much more difficult to ID than their CBH cousins. Anyone care to take a guess at the Overton (and express opinion on grade assigned by NGC)?

It ain't easy but feel free. A rather original example of this rather scarce die variety I might add...

100_1983.jpg

100_1984.jpg

This is a very nice example of the O-101, 1806/5 overdate. I'm gonna grade it F+. This is also an easy attribution, much easier than most Draped busts. On the 1806, first narrow it down to pointed or knobbed 6, stem or no stem through the claw. These 4 subtypes narrow the actual O# down quite a bit.

Some more tips for attributing 1806s-

As the previous poster suggeted, placing the 6 is a start. For the 8 die marriages w/round top 6-

1. If 6 is close to 0 as seen on your coin, it is one of the overdates.

To see which, check leaftip to I position and beak to star on reverse as O.101-103 are the same obverse; if the date is wider, it is O.104. O.101 and 103 have simialr leaftip to I but on 101, tip of beak is atop horizontal of star and for 103, it is alongside star point; O.102 has leaftip right of I.

2. If 6 is distant from 0 it is O.105-O.108.

O.105 has recut T on obv., O.106 shares rev. of O.102 w/unusual leaftip to I position, O.107 is reverse of 1805 w/serif on F, O.108 is roundtop6, no stem thru claw.

There are many more die marriages with the pointed 6 and just knowing that a coin is pointed 6 doesn't help much. However, there are so many DMs w/shared obverses that it is possible, with some experience, to be able to attribute these by knowing the obverse die and die state alone.

O.109 has a pointed 6 and no stem. It is the most commonly seen die pairing of the draped bust series and is also common in all die states.

O.110 is the only pointed 6 w/large stars.

O.111 is the 6/inv. 6, first use. If it is an early die state of the obverse die, you can be sure it is 111. If it is a later state, turn it over and if there are rev. cuds, it is 111; if not it is 112.

O.113 has a crack from rim to space between 3rd and 4th feathers on left wing.

O.114 is the first of 4 uses of the die w/recut TY and you will never see a crack on the obverse; the reverse can be distinguished from O.115 by leaftip to I position- on 114, it barely reaches I and on 115, it reaches half way across. O.116 has a badly broken and sunk obverse and leaftip reaches almost all the way across I. O.117 is in even worse shape w/recut TY lapped off but w/ strong reverse.

More later!

Beat up? I don't see anything beat up about this coin. Its a beauty.

I agree with that statement.

Quite a few circulation marks are present. Note the craters near the hair. But they are old and add that "Found this in an old coin box in an antique shop" look to the coin.