• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1800 Dime

31 posts in this topic

I’ve decided to begin my U.S. typeset by first collecting the draped bust types. To me this is the most eye appealing, albeit short-lived, series. I’ve also had to change my collecting habits. I can only afford one or two of these coins per year, but these are the coins that I really want so I don’t have any other choice.

I’ve taken the seller’s images because I’m terrible at imaging dimes. I actually think this coin looks better in hand than it does in the images. It’s housed in a PCGS VF35 holder with a CAC green sticker. All comments are welcome. If you don’t like the coin I’d be interested to hear why. Thanks!

1800.jpg

I just don't like that YOU Have it and not ME! :slapfight:

Nice coin and I hope your new endeavor goes swell!!!

Congrads on finding an extremely nice example of the JR-2 which is an R-5 early dime!!!! This is the rarer of the two varities for that year.

If you don’t like the coin I’d be interested to hear why. Thanks!

Well, since you asked, following is what I don't like about the coin:

;)

I like the coin and think it is likely quite attractive in-hand if I am interpreting the images correctly. It also appears to be accurately graded. (thumbs u

It is truly gratifying to see a properly graded draped bust coin like that. If the price is $5000 or less, JUMP on it. It's the second toughest draped-bust type. Good luck with the coin just half that size....

If my half-dime wasn't scratched to heck, it would be a match made in heaven!

g180055.jpg

Winston, I like it. I like it a lot! Much more even than my F15 which I paid a premium for.

I love the circulated cameo appearance. I like the holder. And it is solid for its given grade.

Excellent appeal!

The nick on the shield is the only negative that pops to mind but it would be negligible on a dime-sized coin.

Also, I think that your approach is very wise by concentrating on the Draped Bust types first. However, there is a chance that choice Seated Liberty coins will be much more expensive by the time you get around to them.

Still, I give you an A+ for approach, quality and apprehension of this fine coin! :cloud9:

Gorgeous coin, choice for the grade. Victor already mentioned the bump on the shield, but for a coin that is nicely circulated it's not a worry. The rims are nice and full and there is plenty of detail on the coin for all to enjoy. Great coin, wish it were mine!

Thanks for all the comments. I agree. It would be cooler without the nick on the shield. I was focusing on buying a coin with an unmessed with and attractive look. Given the difficulty of that endeavor, the nick on the shield was easy for me to overlook.

The imperfection is not bothersome in the least, and due to the rarity it is ignored, in fact the coin has great eye appeal and originality, great cherry pick, as they say ats...... YOU SUCK!!!

The imperfection is not bothersome in the least, and due to the rarity it is ignored, in fact the coin has great eye appeal and originality, great cherry pick, as they say ats...... YOU SUCK!!!
lol

Thanks again. I appreciate your insight. I need to get an early dime variety book.

The coin is nice, but I question the purchase of a better date for type. I don't know what you are paying for this coin, but if you only looking for an example of the design, you could get a lot more detail on an 1805, 4 berry reverse coin for the same money. Although it's not easy to find any of these early coins in choice for the grade, original surface coins, the search can be quite rewarding. The 1805 dime does show up from time to time, and they are well struck.

Here is my piece, which is in a PCGS AU-58 holder.

1805DimeO.jpg1805DimeR.jpg

Otherwise it appears that this coin is very nice for the grade and a nice find. All I'm saying is if your buget is limited, going for the most common dates of scarce types will net you higher grade coins.

I agree! :makepoint:

Bill, you make a good point and one that I’ll keep in mind for my future typeset purchases.

Thanks Dean and Irvin.

Victor, your liberal use of polls always cracks me up. Also, I haven’t forgotten your advice on late 19th century proofs. I agree with your assessment of them being great value purchases right now. A friend advised me to consider what I value. After a brief deliberation, I recognized that I’ve always loved the draped bust design. Not to say that I don’t admire and desire coins with other designs, but I thought I should start with what I valued/wanted the most.

For some reason when I responded I was too lazy to look up the actual imperfection that was noted, I was just commenting in general about imperfection(s) that arise with a vf35, so i went back to look at the imperfection mentioned and now that i did so I would like to alter my response:

what nick or imperfection on the shield ;)?

Victor, your liberal use of polls always cracks me up. Also, I haven’t forgotten your advice on late 19th century proofs. I agree with your assessment of them being great value purchases right now. A friend advised me to consider what I value. After a brief deliberation, I recognized that I’ve always loved the draped bust design. Not to say that I don’t admire and desire coins with other designs, but I thought I should start with what I valued/wanted the most.

I'm glad that you appreciate my humor, Winston. I'm never out to offend. ;)

And I can't find fault with pursuing Draped Bust Coinage first. If you had decided to put together a high grade 20th Century type set first then I'd take issue with it since your goal is a complete US type set.

You've proven yourself time and time again that you have a very good eye for quality circulated coins. This one is no exception! Hence the "you suck" award. :foryou:

TomB and I are so much alike in our taste for our respective type sets. Yet, we differ because my goal is completeness as well quality. So, I have compromised on grades for some of the early issues but not on quality in terms of originality. Your approach resembles Tom's. And that's OK because he is respected and admired by all. Your 1805 not only is a beautiful type coin but it is a very solid investment, too. However, realistically, it will be a very long time before you ever even come close to assembling a complete set. But, look at Bill Jones, he's been working on his set for 40 years. Very few could ever come close to matching his set apart from the super rich. He did have the advantage of acquiring many of his pieces when their prices weren't so insane so collectors like us are certainly disadvantaged somewhat. Even Tom got his Gobrecht and 1796 quarter in a market when they were actually almost affordable to someone with a middle class income. Me, I started my type set in earnest 6 years ago and am now at a wall for most of the remaining coins needed for my set. For now, anyway.

Approaches to coin collecting varies in as many ways as there are collectors. That is what keeps it fun. The main point, though, is not to throw one's money away when enthusiasm exceeds education. Your approach, Winston, is mature and methodical which is a positive recipe for success.

Lots of respect to you, Brother Buzz!

Finally got around to posting.....here is mine....NGC already bagged it for damage...though considering the age and wear I think it would look ok in a holder. (shrug) It's off to PCGS soon.....so if it bags then at least it will end up in a genuine holder doh!

New097.jpg

New099.jpg

Unless there is damage on the edge that does not show in the photo, I think you got the shaft, Kryptonite. That coin should be in an AG-3 holder. The date is strong, and the marks are actually a little better than one might expect from a coin with that much wear. In fact the reverse is a full Good, but you don't get the grade from the reverse.

Unless there is damage on the edge that does not show in the photo, I think you got the shaft,

I completely agree! I see nothing to prevent it from grading.