• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1869 Proof Seated Dollar with color...grade? BB?

12 posts in this topic

This coin is presently resting in a slab that is not considered to be of the same standards as the big boys (I bet the styrofoam-looking plastic will give it away).

Take a look and render away.

Thanks.

116-1.jpg

116-2.jpg

First of all, it doesn't look like a proof from that angle. But if it is, then it looks like a circulated proof. Finally, that color is absolutely horrible and severely mangles the value of the coin in my opinion.

I apologize if this seems harsh, and I hope my post doesn't offend. I guess I'm just trying to emphasize how much I would avoid that type of coin, especially if in a third world holder!

Here is an 1869 Proof dollar that is in a PCGS PR-63, Cam. The coin has some cameo on the obverse, but I don't agree with the cameo designation. I bought because from what I can see the coin is totally original. The toning is a bit uneven, and there are prettier examples, but this one is certainly okay.

1869DollarO.jpg1869DollarR.jpg

I agree with the others that the coin that started this thread looks AT. But odd things happen now and then. Still I would not try to cross that coin if I owned it.

BB for AT. But,NCS might be able to fix some of that. Can't hurt to send it in for Evaluation. If they can't or won't do anything, it's a small fee to find out. I sent in two Morgan DMPL's for Evaluation. I guess they were worth $400 total.NCS charged me $25 and change to examine them and ship them back. I also had to pay for shipping to them.Total $30+

Yes, I could not agree more. I see wear and if it is proof, then it is a worn proof. The colors while they do look AT, are similiar to some pictures of proofs sold on Heritage. But, I still would bet AT. Here is a full shot of the coin, slabbed, and a more forward angle. This coin will be at a local auction this Sunday. I will post the results.

What is interesting about this year and date is that it is one of the few where there are more proofs than regular strikes.

I still might bid, but it will be an underbid, you could say. ;)

116-0.jpg

Shiller!! :D

No, just making a joke about an earlier thread and how pics how can enhance or degrade a coin.

If I bid, it will be signifcantly under the market face value for that year and grade. If that is shilling, then I be shillin' :grin:

Here are the results from the auction today. No, decided not to bid. If she were to cross at least AU and not be bagged, that price would be reasonable.

"Lot # 116

1869 Seated Liberty Dollar Proof, NNC graded PR-64 toned

High Bid: $1,100.00

SOLD"