• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can Star * grades be attained for superior strike?

2 posts in this topic

Hi NGC, I was wondering if a superior strike for a normally weakly struck date can be a consideration for the star designation?

For example, could a very-well struck 1941-S Walker with a nice thumb, and full skirt lines be considered " a superbly eye-appealing coin"?..or must strike stand on its own.

I understand that strike is not one of the 4 primary criteria for assigning grade ( contact marks, hairlines, luster and eye-appeal)...

My thinking was, I have made a point of collecting VERY well-struck Walkers ( often paying extra for PQ strike) and since there is no FBL,FSB, FH etc...maybe a superb strike can be identified with the * designation instead ??...

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Superior strike is a lesser component in grading, but it does not by itself merit a star designation. It may simply factor into the star determination when accompanied by other assets.