• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new light system and questions about a coin (foreign)

8 posts in this topic

Hello, guys.

Well, today is the day that I finally got around to trying out my "American Recorder Tech Photo Studio in a Box", complete with camera stand, 2 lights, background (on 5 sides) and 4 different color bottoms for small objects...I guess. (You can tell what a camera pro I am.) Anyway, below are very early attempts with the new set up and my original digital camera. I think there might be potential here in improving my coin photo shots (goodness knows they can't possibly get worse) and now I don't have to wait for the sun to come in my office window so I can put the coins in the light!!

Anyway, though the questions are about a foreign coin, it's kind of quiet in that neighborhood so I posted here.

First off, the coin below was sent back to me a few months ago from PCGS in a BB labeled "Planchet flaw". I wasn't surprised...I was more concerned about authenticity. Well, the planchet flaw designation is certainly correct as seen on the reverse at the crown and the 8. If I submitted it to NGC, (I still have my 5 "freebies") would they slab it and how would they designate it? The 1823 is one of the keys to the series and worthy I feel than more than a 2x2. The greenish hue on the obverse is my inexperience with the new lighting system but there is a bit of gunk in the flawed area and a spot of green or 2. Would it hurt the toning to give the coin a quick acetone bath?

Secondly, how do "planchet flaws" effect the overall grade of the coin?

Thanks for your opinions, guys. Always appreciated!

Ri AL

8reales2001-1.jpg

8reales2r-1.jpg

Thanks, guys. I'm low on the learning curve, but hopefully will improve with practice.

The only thing I can't figure out is, shouldn't the screw attatchment on the top of the stand screw into the base of the camera rather than me having to screw the camera onto the screw thing. Kind of awkward, but not a big problem.

RI AL...Photo genious....uh...can't quite figure out the directions for attaching camera to stand. :whatev:

nice pics Al..and I think that your coin is a perfect candidate for NCS..in fact it may be exactly what they had in mind when the service was created..if it is gradeable after the gunk spot is removed it will go to NGC..if not then it will be in a nice NCS slab ( which is a large step up from a 2x2)

Well, you are better at it than I am. I believe you are using one of those miniature photo studios. I bought one and ended up returning it. Using a camera in hand works well enough for now.

Hello, guys.

Well, today is the day that I finally got around to trying out my "American Recorder Tech Photo Studio in a Box", complete with camera stand, 2 lights, background (on 5 sides) and 4 different color bottoms for small objects...I guess. (You can tell what a camera pro I am.) Anyway, below are very early attempts with the new set up and my original digital camera. I think there might be potential here in improving my coin photo shots (goodness knows they can't possibly get worse) and now I don't have to wait for the sun to come in my office window so I can put the coins in the light!!

Anyway, though the questions are about a foreign coin, it's kind of quiet in that neighborhood so I posted here.

First off, the coin below was sent back to me a few months ago from PCGS in a BB labeled "Planchet flaw". I wasn't surprised...I was more concerned about authenticity. Well, the planchet flaw designation is certainly correct as seen on the reverse at the crown and the 8. If I submitted it to NGC, (I still have my 5 "freebies") would they slab it and how would they designate it? The 1823 is one of the keys to the series and worthy I feel than more than a 2x2. The greenish hue on the obverse is my inexperience with the new lighting system but there is a bit of gunk in the flawed area and a spot of green or 2. Would it hurt the toning to give the coin a quick acetone bath?

Secondly, how do "planchet flaws" effect the overall grade of the coin?

Thanks for your opinions, guys. Always appreciated!

Ri AL

8reales2001-1.jpg

8reales2r-1.jpg

I'm more concerned by the green corrosion spots than the small planchet flaws I see. These coins often have rather blatant plan flaws, and will still achive mint state grades as NGC/PCGS. They are to be expected to a large extent.

Thanks for the idea, Jackson 64. I never thought of NCS for the Peru 8 reales. I'd be really pleased if they could conserve it and then grade it and slap it in a holder!

How goes the ship collecting? My music coins set has 5 new additions and will post photos when I get a chance. Give the new "mini photostudio" another chance.

RI AL