• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Hawaii State quarter demanding high prices right now?

15 posts in this topic

I've noticed that the Hawaii state quarter is demanding high prices right now. Sometimes 3-4 times as much as most of the other quarters, well except for the 1999 quarters. Anyone know the reason for this?

First Welcome to the Forum!! :hi:

I was actually wondering the same thing. I have the silver and clad

for sale on ebay and cant believe the crazy prices they are going for.

I just went and looked at the census report and don't see anything unusual.

Hawaii

Clad PF69UC = 1931 PF70UC = 1311

Silver PF69UC = 3407 PF70UC = 2790

It must just be supply and demand!! (shrug)

The only reason I can think of is that everyone is thinking of this as a new series and they know how much the 1999's cost so they are trying to get them at what they think is a good deal before they go up as high as the 1999's

Some people really need to look at the census but looks like there are a lot of people with too much money.

the weird thing is that none of the other 2008 quarters are demanding the same high prices. it's specifically just the Hawaii quarter.

The only reason I can think of is that everyone is thinking of this as a new series and they know how much the 1999's cost so they are trying to get them at what they think is a good deal before they go up as high as the 1999's

Some people really need to look at the census but looks like there are a lot of people with too much money.

I did the pop report. Hawaii is the hardest to get in both Clad and Silver.

I still don't think they should be selling for those crazy price!!

2008Quarters.jpg

I dont know what I was thinking when I posted the above comment here. I guess I totally passed by the 2008 Hawaii quarter and some how got in my head it was a 2009

I dont know what I was thinking when I posted the above comment here. I guess I totally passed by the 2008 Hawaii quarter and some how got in my head it was a 2009

Make sure you drink your coffee before you start posting!! lol

Maybe it's the "UA MAU KE EA O KA ‘ĀINA I KA PONO," inscription on the reverse. That's gotta be a first.

Slightly off-topic, but ... this is actually the first foreign language to appear on a circulating US coin other than the latin E PLURIBUS UNUM. However, many - including the Mint, I think - are marketing the Puerto Rico coin with its "Isla del Encanto" as the first one with a foreign language. :frustrated:

Could it be that the Hawaiian inscription is not considered a foreign language because it is a native language? You wouldn't call Cherokee a foreign language.

Could it be that the Hawaiian inscription is not considered a foreign language because it is a native language? You wouldn't call Cherokee a foreign language.

So Puerto Rico's Spanish is considered "foreign" then because it wasn't the native language of the people there a few centuries ago? I suppose you could argue that, but I personally would consider it a week argument.

Hmm, this is way :signofftopic:, but to continue...

I would say that those making the claim of a foreign language mean one other than English, as it is the de facto language of the United States (note that I said "de facto" and not "official;" that discussion is even further off-topic). However, I don't think the average person would call native American languages "foreign," as they do not belong to a foreign land. They belong to this land, perhaps making them more American than English. So in that light, one can see how the Hawaiian inscription would be considered something other than "foreign," leaving the Puerto Rico quarter to claim that distinction.