• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 Kalakaua 1/2 Dollar

6 posts in this topic

I have a Kalakaua 1/2 dollar that has been graded by ANACS as EF-40, but described as "Cleaned". The 2009 Red Book estimates value at $375. But since it has been cleaned, I was told that I can't use that value.

A local dealer said that as a rule, I should use the next lower grade as my basis of value. Is this typical?

BTW, the coin came to me in this condition, I did not clean it.

As I don't have much experience with cleaned coins, I thought I'd post this question in this forum.

the "cleaned" does drop value some. depending on buyer of course. on which grade to look at im not sure. also depending on the coin itself and how the cleaning was performed.

ive heard the red book is not the place to go for values. most use the numismedia guide/pcgs price guide/and auctions that have ended with sale recently. these things combined can get you a number that would be closer to actual value.

welcome to the boards :)

The value will depend upon what the coin looks like aside from just the ANACS label. I just did a check on Heritage and it appears that what you assume or expect might be correct for this coin.

ANACS used to grade coins as "details" graded at one grade lower than the actual grade as a net grade. And on Heritage, two recent sales occured for XF at about $200, one for a net graded coin and one not.

Given how common this coin is, I think $200 is a lot for a circulated problem coin but there is probably more demand for it because it is a US coin. With the coins I collect, they typically sell for about 20% to 25% of a problem free coin. An example was a 1762 Mexico pillar 2R that I bought last year as NCS "AU Details Improperly cleaned". I consider it an uncirculated coin but paid $75 for it on eBay.

Thanks for the additional info on ANACS and Heritage. I checked Heritage's site for the two sales you mention and they seem to confirm the 1 grade lower assumption. Your example of the 1762 Mexico pillar coin prompted my curiosity so I read your comments on the Spanish Coinage and foound it very informative.