• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upcoming New NGC Holder?

22 posts in this topic

I've heard there is a new NGC holder in the works with a clear insert instead of the white plastic prongs that are used now.

Is there any truth to this and, if so, are there any photos available?

Thanks.

I've heard there is a new NGC holder in the works with a clear insert instead of the white plastic prongs that are used now.

Is there any truth to this and, if so, are there any photos available?

Thanks.

NCS uses them now.Don't know if NGC will in the future.After all they just changed over to the white prong type.

It would be nice if they can do a clear prong. It would satisfy a lot of people I think.

Lets hope :)

I want them to offer the scratch resistant layer on all tiers much more than I want clear prongs..

I had a NCS that just came back with a clear/frosted prong - I did a double take, looks interesting.

Would you like me to post a picture?

NGC has said several times in the past that they would no go to a clear insert because the white insert and style is like a trademark for them. I am woundering it it might be possible for them to do a clear pronged insert that would be placed inside a white dollar sized holder. Similar to what they have for very small coins such as the california fractionals, or the inserts they use in the multi-coin holders. (Currently those clear inserts are solid, but why not make them pronged similar to how the PCGS pronged inserts are?)

I had a NCS that just came back with a clear/frosted prong - I did a double take, looks interesting.

Of course! (thumbs u

Of course! (thumbs u

I second that :)

Spoke too soon - frosted holder, no prongs. Gold would look great in this.

doh!

IMG_0241.jpg

I was really hoping she would grade out with some work from NCS but that didn't happen. The Morgan was free however and nice to have.

You know the old saying "if you have to ask then you probably shouldn't do it" Think of posting photos here as about the only exception to that rule. (I am sure there are other exceptions out there but I can not think of any right now.)

I was at a coin show here recently, the TNA to be exact. I noticed a gold dollar in a dealers case that looked really peculiar. It was in an NGC holder but it didn't look anything like what I've ever seen before, maybe Condor can help there. Anyhow, the coin was in an NGC holder as previously stated, the insert was white, but the gasket around the coin was clear instead of having prongs.

On another note, I also saw a FEC that was in an old rattler with a foam insert, I've only ever seen those in pictures.

I was at a coin show here recently, the TNA to be exact. I noticed a gold dollar in a dealers case that looked really peculiar. It was in an NGC holder but it didn't look anything like what I've ever seen before, maybe Condor can help there. Anyhow, the coin was in an NGC holder as previously stated, the insert was white, but the gasket around the coin was clear instead of having prongs.

Sounds like the holder used by NGC for California fractional gold coins.

NGC does have a frosted, pronged edge-view gasket for NCS coins.

Some people have said they preferred the frosted gasket for non-problem coins in that it lets the coin have a dark background for photos.

The NGC holder used for Cal Fractionals is also used for larger coins that don't fit the standard coin gaskets but it seems those may less frequently used. I personally prefer the Cal Fractional holder over the other NGC holders and it would be nice if they let submitters choose the holder they want.

So far there's no response to my question in the Ask NGC forum. Hopefully they have something in the works :)

I was under the impression NGC was only using the pronged holders for new submissions. A couple of I got my 9 coins back all in the previous white holder,no prongs. I didn't ask for one or the other.

I was under the impression NGC was only using the pronged holders for new submissions. A couple of I got my 9 coins back all in the previous white holder,no prongs. I didn't ask for one or the other.

Officially, they are using prongs only. However, others have reported the same thing recently.

My first spouse is coming back with the old standard one too (I'm glad) and so are the silver eagle proofs, 1/10th gold proof and $5 bald eagle proof.. but all the lincoln proofs are coming back in edgeview

I guess they do what they feel fits best ? or they have handy..

Officially, they are using prongs only. However, others have reported the same thing recently.

I just got a 24 coin submission back last week and the smaller coins were still in the previous white holder and half-dollars and dollars were in the prong holders!!