• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New book on U.S. Commemoratives

6 posts in this topic

Anthony Swiatek has a new edition of "Encyclopedia of the Commemorative Coins of the United States" available in July.

There is a short sample on the publisher's web site. To this reader, the basic information is satisfactory although there are several factual errors and confused comments about “proof” (i.e.: mirrored surface) examples. The text, however, needs the strong hand of a good editor and the sample pages suffer from the omission.

Other opinions would be appreciated.

Hmmm..thought folks would enjoy the fun of finding it for themselves.... :)

(Amazon, and most others are quoting $150, but B&N is as low as $101. for pre-orders.)

Hmmm..thought folks would enjoy the fun of finding it for themselves.... :)

(Amazon, and most others are quoting $150, but B&N is as low as $101. for pre-orders.)

WOW! That's pretty pricey for a book on a subject that has been covered many, many times. I already have several books on the “old” commemoratives that provide a lot of basic information including the one that Dave Bowers published some years ago. There are also a couple additions of a small book by the late Arlie Slaybough (sp) that are very entertaining but don’t get much respect these days. I’ll have to review this book extensively before I’ll fork over $100+ for it.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Arlie Slabaugh's book is the best for getting the stories behind the events and persons being commemorated. The second edition came out in the mid-1970s and brings very little when found. It's quite a bargain.

Arlie passed away a couple years ago. He hadn't done much in numismatics for some years, but his legacy of publishing from the 1960s and 70s is prodigious. I wish the current generation of numismatists better understood just how much he contributed, but the hobby as a whole has a short memory.

I have a copy of Investing, Collecting, and Trading Certified Commems by Laibstain published in 1994. I have found this book an excellent, handy reference that has been useful for a long time. Many of these issues have super low mintages and can be purchased in CH BU or Gem for under $300. Their classic designs point to a time when in many ways life was simpler and more basic.