• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sight Unseen Jeff

9 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2213589633&category=41088

I borrowed this from across the street. The poster asks if you would bid on this item as presented. All responders deemed it rediculous to even consider the thought. My question to everyone is if it were in a PCGS or NGC slab, would you then bid on it, sight unseen (supposing you were in the mood or need of the coin)?

Quite awhile ago, I bought 10 NTC Jeffs from a store out of Florida. When I got them, only two were accurately graded and sent the rest back. Now I will not bid/buy ANY NTC coins as they showed just how inconsistent their grading can be, even within one series.

Is it just me, or are the other TPGs worth looking at or buying depending on the coin/series? With the exception of ANACS, I have found nothing but problems associated with ANY coins graded by the other TPGs, regardless. I know it is on a coin-by-coin basis regardless of the holder, but at least with NGC and PCGS, you are fairly certain to get the coin(s) in the advertised grade.

Are the other TPGs doing a good enough job with grading a SPECIFIC series, or is it still 99% caveat emptor?

David,

There is NO way I would ever bid on a coin in an auction such as this. I am sorry, but the sellers quote ‘I didn't bother to scan the coin as only a digital image from a high resolution camera would do it justice’ carries no weight with me. A decent scan of the coin would be better than no image at all! I noticed he was able to get a pretty good scan of the NTC label though. At least the seller is offering a 10 day return privilege, but this would only be useful IF the buyer really does know what a true MS-67 Jeff should look like.

As for buying coins in holders other than NGC, PCGS, or ANACS, I will only do this if I am able to view the coin in hand first. I do not bid on or buy sight unseen coins in holders other than the top three.

John

John, believe me, I have absolutely no desire to bid on the coin so no apology for your post is necessary! The part about his decent scan of the label and no scan of the coin was also a point mentioned across the street. Something is very fishy with that.

But again, I would ask if you (or anyone else) feels that the other TPGs do a decent job grading in a SPECIFIC series, or are they suspect regardless?

David,

This is only MY opinion, but yes I do consider the other TPG’s ability to grade accurately and consistently suspect. This does not mean that there are no correctly graded coins in these holders, just that IMO there is a much higher chance of finding an overgraded or problem coin in one of these holders than in an NGC, PCGS, or ANACS holder.

That is why I said I would not buy coins in holders other than NGC, PCGS, or ANACS, unless I am able to view the coin in person first. To be honest, I will not buy any coin sight unseen without a return privilege no matter whose holder it is in anyway. It’s just that with sight unseen coins (meaning that I do not have the coin in my hand to look at it) I don’t even bother to take the chance on the coin if it is not in one of the top three holders.

John

If I ever do buy sight unseen it must be ANACS, PCGS, or NGC, and I stick very seriously to the bluesheet, often even lower.

Rob

Also, I'd never buy that nickel. It screams problem. No picture, no coin.

I originally graded it MS-65+ when

27_laughing.gif There must be something wrong with the coin! 27_laughing.gif

I have been informed by several dealer friends at a major auction company that the prices on "Collectors Universe" supplied by PCGS are considered to be a "Trends" substitute. The current price in MS-67 is $2,500.00!! Bidding starts at a very reasonable $1,699.99 for this SUPER rare full step nickel.

27_laughing.gif I wonder who told him that! There are about 4-6 (no name calling here, 27_laughing.gif) who would shell out that much dough! 27_laughing.gif If the coin is fully struck, mark free and FS, $150 is all that I'd pay. 27_laughing.gif Why doesn't he have his dealer friends sell the coin for him? 27_laughing.gif

I wonder what my 42-S ANACS 66 6 stepper's worth, 10 grand? 27_laughing.gif

Leo

OK, one more! 27_laughing.gif