• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANSWER POSTED! MacroMadness PLUS GTG: 1926-D SLQ (CAUTION: LARGE images)

8 posts in this topic

Shot hand held through the slab, but only half the maximum possible size. She's a white coin with tons of luster and lots of nice die erosion. Certified by NGC. Small images first... enjoy!

j1926d_large_o_.jpg

j1926d_large_r_.jpg

j1926d_large_o.jpg

j1926d_large_r.jpg

This is a really tough one, James. I think I'm going to go with MS-64, after long consideration. It was between that and AU-55, but I really think the darker high points in these pictures, which I would normally interpret as wear are incomplete strike. The rest of the coin seems somewhat weakly struck, for example look at the shield. Here is a great example of where grading from pictures is very deceptive.

This is a really tough one, James. I think I'm going to go with MS-64, after long consideration. It was between that and AU-55, but I really think the darker high points in these pictures, which I would normally interpret as wear are incomplete strike. The rest of the coin seems somewhat weakly struck, for example look at the shield. Here is a great example of where grading from pictures is very deceptive.

The 1926-D is notorious for a weak strike especially the shield and the Eagles wings and breast .

And the answer is: NGC MS-65!!!!

Are you surprised?

Extremely so. That black stuff on the head kills it for me.There is if not rub,then weak strike on most of the high points. And the reverse!Very weak.Cool flow lines though!