• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Genuine

17 posts in this topic

Guest Joiseygirl

Coindude,

Not at this time however we do have plans to program this in the future.

Thank you,

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'

Coindude,

Not at this time however we do have plans to program this in the future.

Thank you,

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'

Amy,

I assume you are only considering Signature Sets for PCGS Genuine coins?

Walt

Guest Joiseygirl

walt666,

I believe the plan is to allow 'Genuine' graded coins in competitive sets however they will receive a low score correlating to 'Genuine'.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'

If you are going to allow Geniune coins into competitive sets, then you surely must be planning to also allow NCS coins as well. The two, as I understand it, are essentially equivalent.

I commented on this some time well back, and I totally agree. You cannot allow Genuine without allowing NCS slabs, unless of course you want people to desert NCS (and NGC?) forever and head for the competition. Somehow I don't think they will be doing that..

I don't have any PCGS "Genuine" or NCS coins so it won't directly affect me, but I'm with physics-fan in assuming that NCS coins would be accepted at the same time as PCGS "Genuine" ones are. If not, wow. That would not be a good day to be an NCS customer.

I think it would be nice to have the option to add PCGS Geniune and NCS coins to ones registry even if they just received 1 point.

Maybe 1/10th points or something ? or more :D even less, but not 1. Most NCS slabbed coins are not worth 1 point. You would not slab a cleaned low grade common coin genuine.. it is pointless.

As for PCGS Genuine, in many cases it was not put in the holder by choice, since they do it automatically. So on average I would guess they would be less valuable coins ? people usually intend a NCS coin to be in the "problem" slab. This complicates things more..

From my POV as a type registry participant, I think it is a good thing.

Lots of early copper pieces are very difficult to find without problems, as well as some early Federal silver issues. It will take the strain of the prices of legitimately graded pieces. I still plan on getting a problem free example of a 1793 half cent when the opportunity presents itself. My choice. But, if other participants are able to use Genuine slabbed examples then it should make my job easier.....theoretically, that is.

The reason I asked was because I just got back a cent that I thought might get a P-01, but it has some old scratches, and I mean old! So, I was 70/30 that the coin would get in a genuine holder. Turns out it got 'Genuined'. 1794, cool coin, but would have been way cooler in a P-01.

Anyhow, great discussion here, and I do agree that NCS should be put in as well. I would expect that an NCS coin might get more points than a genuine coin because it comes with a net grade?

Actually, NCS does one-up PCGS Genuine, because they offer a details grade--a term such as "XF" or "AU" plus details about the problem with the coin, whereas PCGS simply says it's real, and hides in a numerical code the details about the problem with the coin; PCGS will not even apply rough descriptor grades to problem coins.

NGC has also announced phasing out NCS' slabbing in favor of NGC themselves offering details grading for problem coins, and giving half-value in the registry set. By comparison, PCGS gives one single point, making a Genuine coin good for completing a set but of little value when competing.

For this reason, NGC wins this round as far as the better service--at least for those who like competing in sets. (It does give PCGS bragging rights for saying that it's now the only top tier service that doesn't offer "details grading," making any of their graded coins that much more elite. The coins are either IN or OUT. It's the Studio 54 of numismatics.)

For this reason, NGC wins this round as far as the better service--at least for those who like competing in sets. (It does give PCGS bragging rights for saying that it's now the only top tier service that doesn't offer "details grading," making any of their graded coins that much more elite. The coins are either IN or OUT. It's the Studio 54 of numismatics.)

IMHO, NGC wins this round even for those who do not use the coins for registry competition. I think it is good for better coins that may have a problem, like gold that was once used for jewelry or a previously cleaned key coin.

Scott :hi: