• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 LP2 probable die crack

20 posts in this topic

Decided to open up one of my rolls of LP2's that just came in so I can pick one for the album and maybe find some high grades. Found what appears to be a die crack on 3 of them from the same roll. They are all identicle, a branched line under Abe's chin, wonder if NGC will designate these? Check your stuff, these were in a box dated 4/28.

lp2error2.jpg

I hope so, I originally posted at CT as a gouge or clash, but I sent pics to ken Potter and he said the more he looks at it the more it looks like a crack. I will try to get them into the hands of a pro, but at least I can be on record as finding it first! He hee.

But you know, know that I take another look there are seperate features, I traced over the ares in this crudely drawn image so you can see more clearly where the raised features are, if it were a crack wouldn't it be fairly straight and one line? Not 3 seperate areas? I guess it could be other damage to the die, but..... who knows? But it doesn't look like a part of any of the other design on the dies that I can recognize.

lp2error2b.jpg

OK, I think I figured it out, look at the same spot on the coin on the reverse, it is the opening in abe's shirt, then look at the buttons or button holes beside the shirt. Then compare to the lines I drew, its a match! Die clash 09 LP2. So how do I get this authenticated?

Hmm I should get my rolls tomorrow. Are these gonna be worth unrolling a couple ? what should I put the coins in once I unroll em ?

I just rolled mine up in a paper roll, don't know how rare these are considering I found three in one roll.

We all know how ebay works. Sell'em now while they are hot. (shrug)

I just rolled mine up in a paper roll, don't know how rare these are considering I found three in one roll.

We all know how ebay works. Sell'em now while they are hot. (shrug)

Ditto..

I got 10 sets so I already sold 6 on fleabay, holding a couple for later, now I wish I had saved the 4/28 boxes instead of the 4/30. Ken Potter wants me to send these in for verification. I will post up when he gets back to me. Also, would NGC need a verification before they slabbed it with the attribution? What if I sent them in now?

Someone posted them on CT along with ones for future issues, well, looks like there are tons of errors on the 09 P LP2, double thumb, extra finger, die clashes, three kinds of DDR and even a DDO. Half of my roll I opened up are errors! Billy Crawford is going to put them all up on the die variety news soon.