• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare old copper coin?

8 posts in this topic

About 15 years ago,I went to an estate sale and bought a bag of wheat pennies and I started checking through them.Halfway,I found this old copper coin in the bag.I have never seen a coin like this.It was made with no date. If you know about this coin,please let me know.I also would like to know what it probally would grade and is it rare.Does NGC put this in their holder.The first pic is the front and it says hillsdale on the bottom.The second pic is the back.I have found one kind of coin similer but it has "not one cent" on the back.

80488.jpg.19862e8b6018a38e5afbc0f65920d955.jpg

80489.jpg.766e5c64717988c2286b4805962e41bd.jpg

Looks like a store card of some sort. These were advertising pieces for the shop. Not my area, but there are a few on here who can help you. It does look like a pretty nice piece, though.

You "coin" is a Civil War token store card. It is listed in Fuld (standard reference book for Civil War store cards) as MI 660 A-1a.It is a scarce token that is rated as an R-6 (estimated 20 to 75 known). The token appears to grade VF, but the picture of the reverse suggests corrosion. If it is corroded, NGC won't grade it, but if the green stuff is removable, NCS could do it.

The problem is the piece catalogs for $50 to $60. The catalog is old, so the prices might have gone up a bit, but probably not enough to warrant spending a lot of money on this piece for restoration and a slab. The piece is a better than average Civil War token, but it’s not a great one.

bill jones is correct

decent historical token and in my opinion it retails for around 75-85 usd at a specialized token dealers case at a big show who has collector customers wanting it for their collection

the key here is

who has collector customers wanting it for their collection

NGC was fairly generous with the grade (I would have called it VF-35) , and the token looks great in the Edgeholder.

Next time eBay has free listings I would list it for a price that you are comfortable with and see what happens. You already have decent photos. If it doesn't sell it won't cost you a penny.

Next time eBay has free listings I would list it for a price that you are comfortable with and see what happens. You already have decent photos. If it doesn't sell it won't cost you a penny.

hm Our you could put it up as a Buy-It-Now for $0.50 and mark the good till canceled for duration and it will stay on eBay till it sells.

If I were buying this non-certified, which is what I would have preferred, my offer would be $35, maybe $40. That's hardly an earth-shattering offer, but I agree with earlier suggestions that VF is a more reasonable grade. The problem is that it's certified now, which has added $20 or so of cost to the coin!

In January, I bought a whole page of common to very scarce (R.4/R.5) tokens for $360, which is $18 each, from a local coin club member, and most of them are uncirculated. I probably made about $50 profit overall in reselling them.

Anyhow, best of luck. Hope you get a great price for it!