• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

one of the hardest dates in this series to obtain in proof deep cameo

14 posts in this topic

gem proof thumbsup2.gif

and one of the if not the hardest date in the series to get in deep cameo

let alone in gem proof deep cameo

also this date usually is the hardest to get well made with any decent eye appeal 893frustrated.gif

usually this date has many problem coins with all the problems mint made 893whatthe.gif

as the planchets were poorly prepaired devil.gif and the nickel used was inferior devil.gif and the striking for this year well leaves much to be desired devil.gif

this coin is a rare exception flamed.gif to the rule flamed.gif

michael shy.gif

351941-1871ucam.jpg.e78d60f27ec9aee70fa426a9bc14fae3.jpg

Nice 3 cent piece. I've only seen 2 other proofs. When I read your title, I thought you would be showing a 1950 DCAM Franklin

thanks merc

this 1871 proof deep cameo three cent piece is rarer than any dcam 1950 franklin and being copper nickel and looking like this MUCH rarer than ANY DCAM 1950 franklin

but the price is not anywhere near the franklin

just goes to show you the value in many 19 century series

even if you only buy for a type coin

a coin like this 1871 would make one hell of an example to have for type

proof

gem

and deep cameo

with amazing eye appeal

and something that basically is NOT REPLACEABLE

VERY close to one of a kind

michael

and in todays marketplace there are many 19 century to early 20 century proof coins that are like this

and still very reasonably priced

and how many proof 1871 three cent nickels are there raw sitting in dealers cases at shows or in their shops????

i would venture to guess not many and most likely NONE LOOKING LIKE THIS COIN

michael

Michael,

I agree this is a nice 3 cent cameo proof. Are they rare in cameo? I see 960 proofs were struck in 1871. That make it 50 times rarer than a 1950 proof half. But, there are very few dcam 1950 halves. I see PCGS has graded 1(my info is old) and NGC has graded 12. How tough are cameo 3 cent pieces? This is a serise I've never collected.

hi there merc

pcgs has only graded *one 1871 deep cameo*

ngc has also only graded *one 1871 ultra cameo* which is this coin pictured on this thread and it is a monster stellar ultra cameo coin to boot

the designation for cameo designation is two fold at ngc/pcgs services

ngc cameo and ultra cameo

pcgs cameo and deep cameo

ngc is much harder on the ultra cameo proof designation than pcgs is on deep cameo proof designation

and of course THIS IS MY OPINION based on WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN HOLDERS AT BOTH SERVICES ngc/pcgs

and also BASED ON 35 YEARS IN SPECIALIZING IN SUCH PRE 1916 PROOF COINS GOLD EXCLUDED

of the ultra cameo ngc coins i have seen they are really total monsters for the designation STELLAR ultra cameo proof really rare beautiful coins

there are some great deep cameo proof pcgs coins too but a greater percentage i have seen leave much to be desired

buy the coin not the holder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

many many ngc coins that have been in cameo designated holders are now in designated deep cameo proof pcgs holders and this is not good or bad just the way it is as coin grading and designation is all subjective opinion based on the persons standards looking at the coins

just make sure you buy the coin not the holder@!!!!!!!!!

in fact i am the first one to get the first cameo proof walker graded cameo at pcgs and it is still the finest known cameo coin in terms of grade at pcgs A PROOF 67 CAMEO!! and i am the first one to get a post 1900 deep cameo lib nick at pcgs currently still the finest known post 1900 THE COIN GRADED PROOF67 DEEP CAMEO

and i have other cameo pre 1915 proof coin records at pcgs and ngc

and again with what i am talking about as per the above i am talking about proof deep/ultra cameo coins gold excluded

michael

hi there merc i will try to answer your questions but i will say that i know very very little about proof 1950 franklin halves

pcgs/ngc have graded 530 1871 proof three cent nickels

pcgs/ngc have graded 3600 1950 proof franklin halves

pcgs/ngc have graded 18 proof cameo 1871 three cent nickels

pcgs/ngc have graded 484 proof cameo 1950 franklin halves

pcgs/ngc 2 proof deep/ultra cameo 1871 three cent nickels

pcgs/ngc 17 proof deep/ultra cameo 1950 franklins

the three cent nickel 1871 are rare in cameo and i mean a really nice cameo with good mirrors and eye appeal michael approved

the 1871 in deep/ultra cameo that is a real one with monster mirrors and what i call a stellar ultra/deep cameo is well if not a one of a kind coin an almost one of a kind coin really it should not even exist

the 1871 deep cameo proof pcgs 67 coin which was made about 2 years ago i know the dealer who made it and he placed it with a client collector and i know the price but i cant say any of that here as i promised the dealer i would not tell

since i have NOT seen the coin i cant say if it is a real deep cameo or not i would be surprised very surprised if it was as deeply cameoed and contrasted as this ngc coin photoed here on this thread but i guess anything is possible

i bet that there are many thousands uncertified of franklin halves 1950 and i bet a few of those are deep/ultra cameo and i bet some of the cameo franklins if recertified would deep/ultra cameo

also modern silver is much more common to find deep/ultra cameo proof than middle 19 century proof deep/ultra proof three copper nickels

nickel is many times harder than silver and does not take the deep cameo and mirrors as silver does

but again the proof franklins are much more available coins more popular and REALLY PROMOTED and collectors understand them more **HENCE MORE DEMAND** which translates into higher prices

proof three cent nickels low demand and they are despised coins so low prices

and with coins there are only three things that make coins sell for $$$$$$$$$$$

demand

demand

demand

just the way it is not good or bad

for me the three cent nickels in proof are undervalued much rarer beautiful coins 19 century to boot and with really no stated demonation on them! a great coin to own with still unlimited potential

they are scarce in really nice strong cameo with great mirrors and great eye appeal and would pass the michael seal of approval

if there was any sort of increased demand they would triple in price overnight

just buy one with great eye appeal and one that is a strong cameo with great contrast mirrors and surfaces i bet you could get a later date likethe above graded pcgs/ngc in superb gem proof 66 for 850 and for a nice gem proof65 coin as per the above a few hundred less

they are out there if you go look for them

most dealers absolutely hate these coins as they are not available in quantity that would pass the michael seal of approval but when they do pass they are beautiful and so hard to promote as there is a very little supply out there of michael seal of approval coins with tha right "look" to them

a small supply hence you cant promote them as you need larger quantities hence little demand

wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

again the above is just my opinion my two cents worth as a small average crazy collector and just based on over 35 years in specializing as such in these coins

COLLECT coins for fun with ((discretionary funds)) money you can afford to lose

again my opinion

i just give you more information with which it hopefully helps you make a better decision for yourself i hope you make all the right ones!

i am not here to sell you something or buy something from you and i could give a rats [!@#%^&^] if you buy something or not

but i am here to make you think you might agree with me or think i am a total [!@#%^&^] which is okie with me

then you can go out and do whatever you want to

michael shy.gif

now superb colored proof three cent nickels

are really monster rare coins

here are two of the wildest i have ever seen and TOTAL MONSTERS

maybe you see one like these every two years or so and then you have to be in the business and really looking for them going to every show and auction

these coins are much better when viewed sight seen

most collectors have never seen such coins nor understand then as they have again not seen such coins let alone know they exist!!

i have seen some more but i do not have photos of them

and with both being superb gem proofs a combination of both superb technical grade and monster color just high rarity 7 maybe??? rarity 8 ????? coins

michael

358613-small83pf3cn.jpg.e2b58d4ccc798675b2da78f3d7fb035f.jpg

Thank you Michael for your replies and picture posts.

These old proofs are truly beautiful. My oldest is a 1871 proof dime, but it is only a PF62. It has some hairlines so I'm sure it was wipped by collectors of the past. Plus it has a large strike through on the reverse. Looks like a bit of wire was on the coin when it was struck.

thanks for your comments merc!

and for me

a very good coin that 1871 proof dime

it is for me a sexy and popular date for any proof coins with this 1871 date!!

an underapprecaited and undervalued coin which i think will soon have its day in the sun along with the entire seated series in business strike and proof

michael