• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 cent reverse

18 posts in this topic

based on the article on the front page of the Coin World I got in the mail today, this is the frontrunner for the new cent reverse (ugh...):

2010_Lincoln_Cent_Design_10.jpg

The only thing that makes sense about bureaucratic decisions is that they make no damn sense!

That reverse design is butt ugly and shows not creativity whatsoever!

based on the article on the front page of the Coin World I got in the mail today, this is the frontrunner for the new cent reverse (ugh...):

2010_Lincoln_Cent_Design_10.jpg

Only way to describe this... Blah! I'm an artist and that is not art.

The eagles are nice, but in my opinion they do not belong on any denomination lower than a quarter.

The disjointed flag was recommended by the Commission of Fine Arts. The CCAC recommended the shield, although we felt none of the designs were worthy of a circulating coin. (The law required us to recommend a design from among those presented.)

As for the eagle, tradition (and earlier coinage law) reserves that for coins of precious metal, not zinc.

The CCAC is also going to discuss using a new obverse instead of Brenner’s tired portrait of Lincoln’s coat.

RWB - are you on the CCAC? If so, can you tell us why you didn't recommend any of the US Capitol building (Designs 1-8), an actual interesting flag (Design 9), or the shield with pen/sword (Design 12)?

(P.S. I'm getting the numbers from the About.com article.)

I am intrigued by the idea of refreshing the obverse, I think the silver dollar design might be an idea one to adapt to the cent. Of course I'd also like a capped bust of Liberty too!

I am intrigued by the idea of refreshing the obverse, I think the silver dollar design might be an idea one to adapt to the cent. Of course I'd also like a capped bust of Liberty too!

Yeah, right, Jeff, like they'll come up with any exciting new or cool retro designs. Remember when we had our hopes up for the San Francisco old mint commemoratives having pure retro designs? And having a centennial cent true to the original 1909 VDB Lincoln cent both in design and composition? None of it happened. Bureaucrats and committee members are notorious for their lack of creativity and disregard of public opinion. I'll bet you 10:1 that the next cent will be hideous both obverse and reverse!

rantrant

As for the eagle, tradition (and earlier coinage law) reserves that for coins of precious metal, not zinc.

The CCAC is also going to discuss using a new obverse instead of Brenner’s tired portrait of Lincoln’s coat.

Somebody has some explaining to do about what happened in 1965 without a design change. lol

I don't know about changing the obverse though... just look at what they've done to the nickel...

RWB - are you on the CCAC? If so, can you tell us why you didn't recommend any of the US Capitol building (Designs 1-8), an actual interesting flag (Design 9), or the shield with pen/sword (Design 12)?

Before voting I publicly stated that none of the designs were even minimally acceptable and that none contributed to the director’s vision for new designs emblematic of the nation’s ideals and of the finest in American numismatic art.

The Capitol building’s new dome was begun during Buchannan’s administration and Lincoln had nothing to do with it. It certainly had nothing to do with Lincoln’s maintaining the unity of the nation – which was Congress’ instruction. (I don’t feel it belongs on the 2009 cent, but that decision was made long ago.) The flags had nothing to do with unity (esp. the disjointed mess the CFA picked), were too repetitive of old designs and trite, and the pen/sword design was both too detailed and again hand nothing to do with unity. The shield didn’t have much to do with anything except as a national unity symbol that hadn’t been used in a long time. (This repeats it’s meaning on the 2-cent bronze of 1864.)

The CCAC is presented with relatively mature design sketches, and told to pick from them. This batch was awful.

I raised a question about the obverse and passed around some of the Lincoln portraits the mint already owns. Brenner’s coat portrait is OK for haberdashery but it’s not much of a portrait of the man, Lincoln.

Author of Renaissance of American Coinage (NLG Book-of-the-Year 3 years in a row) series and Guide Book of Peace Dollars. Contributor to the Red Book, Judd Patterns and many other fine numismatic books, discoverer of two gold patterns, and author of numerous coin research articles.

Perhaps you should add member of the CCAC to your curriculum vitae here. It definitely ranks with your other notable numismatic accomplishments.

Tradition may reserve the eagle for the precious metal coins (And requires it to appear on the quarter, half, and dolar clad coins. Of course on the quarter and dollars othe provisions currently override that requirement.) but the law does not. forbid its use on the smaller denominations though. I noticed in your books I believe that several officials had the mistaken belief that it did.

At various times, the law specified use of the eagle only on silver and gold coins. The law still requires an obverse portrait to be "emblematic of Liberty" but interpretation has changed over time.