• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yikes, premiums for fractional buffalos thru the roof...

8 posts in this topic

I'm glad I bought an uncirculated 1/10 oz gold buffalo back when they were available! I remember deciding to go with the 1/10 oz instead of the 1/4 oz, because of how expensive they were! The box must cost more to make than the coin! :makepoint:

But I was reading up on them and apparently the premiums for them are thru the roof! Check out this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-w-Buffalo-gold-5-1-10oz-w-mint-package-2008w-unc_W0QQitemZ220419427838QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_Bullion?hash=item3352058dfe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Are you going to hold onto yours or sell them?

As soon as they were discontinued they went up a few hundred % across the range

I got shafted. Mint cancelled my order for 1/2oz proof, card must have been low :(

I'd like to have a set of these coins, but given the premiums, I'll pass for now. Perhaps in a few years, when the dust settles and more collectors have turned their pages to other things, market luster will wear off these things and the prices will be more reasonable realitive to bullion.

Or perhaps not. (shrug)

Holy ! Is that price typical of what they are going for lately? Wish I had bought a few. Why is hindsight always 20/20, and why is my crystal ball always broken?

I got the proof and uncirculated 1/4 oz coins. Cute little buggers. But, alas, I think I'm gonna have to sell them to generate a little cash. :sorry:

Holy ! Is that price typical of what they are going for lately? Wish I had bought a few. Why is hindsight always 20/20, and why is my crystal ball always broken?

More than a few of us thought that the mint's price for these coins, which worked out to something like $1,300 an ounce for gold, was way too high. In the long run it might have been, but for now if you bought these things you stand to make some big money.

All of the coin market is *spoon* shoot to an extent, but modern coins are the biggest guessing game. Who would have thought that the Jackie Robinson coins would have been any good? Even after the government extended the ordering period, they still didn't sell. Yet now they bid at over $3,500 in Uncirculated and $550 in Proof. (Not that you will get those amounts when it comes time to sell because most dealers won't pay bid for a lot of modern material.)

I have a 1/10th oz in an ngc 69 ucam and original box. I purchased it for less than 160. I bought it just before they discontinued. I guess I did ok. Not sure I want to sell it though because I just love that thing.